Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you grow any of your own food?

Deck garden: herbs, tomatoes, scallions, kale, strawberries, blueberries, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, sunflowers

Ocean garden: lots of pears, asparagus, tomatoes, lettuces, squash, peppers, beans, horseradish, eggs, and whatever else my Mom started in the greenhouse

Vineyard: Siegerrebe, Madeleine Angevine, a bit of Pinot, pears

Foraged: seaweed/kelp, oysters, clams, mussels, salmon, cod, halibut, crabs, prawns, shrimp, venison

Contracted out to be raised by local 4H kids and farmers: lambs, pig, cow, goats, chickens

Lovely, Bae.

Raised beds made from stone. Love that! We could do that here, here on Stone Hill Highway.

we also have a tny vinyard, just getting started. All 12 of our Norton vines died a coupla years ago and they were not cheap! I read that they are tricky to get established, but was established they need pruning all the time they go crazy. So, we have three kinds of vines, two reds and a white. I don’t know the names of them.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-13-22 at 8:11am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Raised beds made from stone. Love that! We could do that here, here on Stone Hill Highway.
    They work very nicely here, and seem to gather enough heat to extend the growing season a bit. I am now a fan.

Gorgeous garden, bae!

we do tomatoes (lots of them), cucumbers, zucchini, Swiss chard, peppers, lettuce.

Herb garden: rosemary, lavender, chives parsley (Curley and flat), cilantro, sage, oregano, basil, Thai basil, mint

Apples, montmorency cherries, pears (if we're lucky and they bear fruit), strawberries.

Marijuana.

My neighbors give us free rein of their garden and we give them free rein of ours. They grow Swiss chard, carrots, beets/beet greens, blueberries, marijuana.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Chicken lady, I would if he was legal........ he is using me for a salad bar.

291649028_10222541163822797_2284796898142543786_n.jpg

Tonight's salad had lettuce, radishes and a few small tomatoes from the garden boxes/containers. Peas are ready to be picked as well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    It's so dry some critter is eating jagged bites of my previously spurned basil and the tarragon is all gone too. I may have to grow herbs indoors next year.

We’re amateurs compared to the rest of you. Right now we’ve got corn, jalapeño peppers and basil growing.

The pepper plant was unplanned. We planted it last summer and got maybe a dozen peppers and in the fall left a couple of peppers on it too long so I just let them decompose in the soil. Apparently a seed from that germinated this spring because a new plant spontaneously started.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    We’re amateurs compared to the rest of you. Right now we’ve got corn, jalapeño peppers and basil growing.

The pepper plant was unplanned. We planted it last summer and got maybe a dozen peppers and in the fall left a couple of peppers on it too long so I just let them decompose in the soil. Apparently a seed from that germinated this spring because a new plant spontaneously started.
    You are growing sweet corn??!!! That needs a lot of room. DH played around with it in the city, but critters got all of it.

Thread Information