Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you grow any of your own food?

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Chicken lady, I would if he was legal........ he is using me for a salad bar.

Attachment 4599
    I hate them so much!

We have a lot of deer and wild boar. Our garden is open to the large field, but we have never had a problem with the large animals here.
    There are also rabbits in the area, but not in the garden.
    We have big problems with snails. Especially in spring when everything is still wet and green. Now in summer they leave the plants alone.
    You have to be willing to do the things others will never do in order to have the things others will never have.
    -unknown-

www.miteigenenhaenden.de

Simpleminded, where I live that photo and a receipt showing you signed up for a market stand or sold somebody (anybody - your sister, it’s a technicality) some vegetables would get you a permit to shoot him. Out of season.

actually, where I live if you just shot him and didn’t tell anybody it would be fine….the coyotes and vultures would eat the evidence and no one would pay any attention to the gunshot.
    What have you done today to make the world a better place?

When I was young, living in upstate New York and married to my second husband we had a acre right in town and he had a huge garden. Lots of delicious sweet corn. He also hunted deer and wild turkeys in season and we had a wood stove to supplement our heat. Now I am such a softie that I let the squirrels eat the entire garden when I was married to husband 3 because I couldn’t stand to kill a animal. You can’t relocate squirrels because they are so territorial that they will die at horrible death by the other squirrels so it’s illegal here. Now of course I live in a condo so don’t grow anything but 2 plants. Some people grow tomatoes on there’s.

We just discovered we have a resident skunk. I figured it was a neighbor's stinky marijuana but saw it last night coming out from under the shed. Perhaps it will eat any grubs in the yard since it is digging holes everywhere. There is always some critter to co-exist with when you garden.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You are growing sweet corn??!!! That needs a lot of room. DH played around with it in the city, but critters got all of it.
    Yes. I don’t see how this is going to work. It’s taking up half of a box that is about 1 foot wide by 1 foot deep by 3 feet long. Six stalks of it. They are about 3 feet tall currently. I struggle to imagine how this is going to work when they are as high as an elephant’s eye… But I was not consulted before SO embarked on this endeavor so I won’t be upset if it fails. But will be pleased if it succeeds. A win/win!

Thinking about critters, when I was a teenager my mother thought it would be fun to grow sunflowers.* They grew spectacularly but the squirrels thought that it was for them. She spent a lot of time and effort trying to keep them away but they ate like 2/3 of the seeds.

*random aside. Mom was from Kansas, the sunflower state. Up through high school I regularly went to visit my favorite aunt in mom’s hometown. One time she mentioned that Mt Sunflower, the highest point in the state, was just one county away. Having recently been to pikes peak, the highest point in my home state, I asked if we could go there. So we went. To say it was not as impressive as pikes peak would be a bit of an understatement. 😆. But we stopped for chocolate shakes on the way home, which was awesome.

Thread Information