Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you drink - or even meet up with - co-workers after work?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Do you drink - or even meet up with - co-workers after work?

This is one sticky bit about my job -a bit of this seems to be expected. I'll show my face once in awhile but it's something I dread. It's not that I don't like or even respect most of my coworkers - but they are just that - coworkers. They belong to that part of my life that is about work. I don't like mixing work and personal any more than I have to.

What's your take on this? Rob

I think you’re doing the right thing. Because you’re a manager you cant go out and party hardy with the group. It’s nice that you show your face once in a while but basically keep business as business.

Constantly. I just got back from game night with 6 of my coworkers. We had a cookout/potluck as part of the festivities, and helped with a garden construction project.

When I was working occasionally I would go out with coworkers.

I go to the annual holiday party.

Was invited the other day to a coworker's Jack and Jill and it took me aback that now it is pay a fixed amount of money to attend so we can fundraise for our wedding vs the traditional bridal shower. I didn't ask my coworkers to pay for my nuptials. I eloped.

This couple has been living together a while and had a child. They should have what they need in terms of household goods so maybe that's why they're just looking for cash.

Almost never over a 31 year career. Celebration potlucks at work were fine. Lunch was an issue because there was only one place the group would go to and the food was awful. We were not bar people.

I avoided company sponsored social events as much as possible, but I had friends from work and that I worked with that I would routinely socialize with after work.

Nope. I refuse to. They always want to go out on Fridays when I’m headed up to WI for the weekend to dive. I rarely drink and being in a very loud sports bar just isn’t my idea of fun.

The advantage of being 100% remote is that my co workers are tiny rectangles on a screen. I like to keep work and personal life separate.

In the past, when I had to attend work events I would not drink and leave as early as possible. Usually this was the holiday gathering. One place told me I needed to be more of a team player and stay longer. Hard pass.

I am no fan of going to any bar after work with anyone, but socializing over a beer is different.

Thread Information