Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nocturnal panic/anxiety attacks

Nocturnal panic/anxiety attacks

Well this has been an interesting turn of events. This summer I have had several panic/anxiety attacks at night. Basically I am wrestling with some thought most of the night. Like a record playing in my mind that I can't shut off. Tossing and turning. Finally I wake up and can hardly breathe. It is like I can only use 1/3 of my lung capacity. The first couple were very scary. I forced myself to take long deep breaths and the feeling subsides. Once my heart was racing like crazy - again started taking long forceful deep breaths and it went away. The whole experience leaves me exhausted. My boss at work experiences the same thing. I related to her what I was going though, she acknowledged it was the same thing she experiences.

Her doctor told her with Covid there has been a real increase in with anxiety/panic attacks - lots of pinned up stressed. I have stopped listening to some news, eliminated talk radio, etc. Work is going great, so no issues there. All I could think was maybe my aging parents and my increasing roll I will need to take in their lives. Approaching retirement and watching my dismal 401K take a dive. World conflict. etc. I try not to let things I have no control over, not to cloud my mind, but you can't completely avoid the news. The last two have been about text messages I have received right before heading to bed, so no reading late night text...

Anyone else suffer from this and how do you control it?

Possibly test for sleep apnea. I suppose if one had covid this might be an after effect too, especially if it had lot of lung involvement. I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on t.v.. But could be a physical issue.
    Trees don't grow on money

Every time someone says long covid I wonder, how do you know it's not a side effect of the vaccines?

Hope it gets better. Have you tried anything to knock yourself out? Sometimes I take a Benadryl.

That sounds awful, Greg. I haven't had anything quite as severe as what you describe, but I have definitely had anxious thoughts keeping me awake. The one useful thing I've found is to use some of my meditation techniques, deep breathing, progressive relaxation, and focusing on the now of being safe and comfortable in my own bed. It sounds like you are having some success with that as well.

Yes, I have the same thing, and have identified the two causes you mention, the aging parents and the dwindling 401k. So you have my sincere empathy--it's awful.
    I have started going to a therapist and using self-hypnosis cd's before going to sleep. The self-hypnosis has been the only thing that seems to do any good with the nightmares, waking up breathless part. But it's very much something I am working on, too.

Oh that sounds terrible for those of you experiencing this.

DH has slight OCD and takes a nighttime medication so he can sleep. It’s a light dose of… Something, I can’t remember the name of it. It quells the “thoughts racing in his head. “He’s been on this for years now. That’s not a panic attack it’s a different disorder

I would recommend doing a search on "arrythmia" and looking at the information at www.mayoclinic.org

Consider improvements in "sleep hygiene". The linked article suggests that when the mind is racing with worries, get out of bed, do your worrying in a comfortable chair, then when calm return to bed.
    http://www.sleepassociation.org/abou...p-hygiene-tips

I had severe panic attacks when I was much younger so I know how terrifying they can be. Mine would happen at night or when I was driving on the freeway. At some point, I realized that I had control over them mentally and physically. Cold temperatures stopped them in their tracks, ie walking barefoot outside on cold cement. Cold bath water on your feet. Lots of deep breathing since hyperventilating probably brought them on. Mentally...grasping the truth that "this too shall pass" and and not fretting about what might be.

Oh Gregg, I am so sorry you and apparently so many others are suffering through this. I've never had a panic attack but I often suffer from anxiety, racing thoughts, non ending thoughts...fear of driving...I had a counselor for several years and that helped. I tried Uncommon Knowledge Hypnosis tapes. The one on travel worked marvelously for my fear of bridges and driving with semi tractor trailer on the road. But the others haven't been as successful. The sleep on in particular didn't help much. You've gotten some interesting ideas. Let us know how it works.

B12 is helpful for panic attacks.

"Eating a plant-based diet makes you miss out on some essential nutrients. For instance, only animal protein contains substantial amounts of vitamin B12, while plant sources donít. The lack of vitamin B12 in the diet can have adverse effects on mental health, including panic attacks and depression. " (https://www.honeycolony.com/)

My mother's standard advice when we were feeling peckish was "Eat a nice steak, dear." I thought she was daft, and I'm not particularly fond of steak, but it turns out that red meat, particularly, has mental health benefits, for at least some people.

Thread Information