Thread: New Mexico Is So Green...

New Mexico Is So Green...

with WEEDS! OMG! Never have I seen such a green variety of abundance here...

We are having an excellent monsoon season here. It started early in June for a few weeks, then subsided for two weeks in which things started to dry out again, and now we're back to almost daily rains. It's cooled off a little bit, but it is much more humid here than I am used to. Our large yard is a lush jungle and I cannot even hope to keep up with it. I started going out at 6am if I happen to wake up early to pull weeds while it's somewhat cooler out and the ground is soft.

Such an amazing variety of native plants and weeds; some have pretty flowers like the Desert Mallow, the Desert 4 O'Clock, and the New Mexican Sunflower, so I leave them to bloom in various spots in the garden. It is a beautiful, slightly chaotic mess. Others are terrible scourges, like Goatheads, which hug the ground and make these little rock hard Devil's-Head looking seed pods with lethal spikes that get tracked inside on the soles of shoes. To accidently step on one barefoot elicits a string of expletives. The ragweed is almost three tall and I simply cannot keep up with it; our yard is too big! I've been buying bags of mulch to try to keep the weeds in the pathways down, but I would need three large dump trucks of shredded bark to make a dent in the rest of the yard.

On the flip side, it is really nice to be able to take a shower every single day, and do lots of laundry without fear of using up too much precious water. Our 1500 gallon rainwater holding tank is almost perpetually full, and we rarely need to pump water from our well to fill it up.

I just saw that New Mexico tax payers are getting one more $250 tax refund check this summer, so I'm going to take that money and finally buy a weed-wacker. There is just NO WAY to keep trying to weed by hand. I already filled up the pickup truck bed with weeds and brush to take to the town brush pile. I have two more giant piles to cart away before I even get to pruning the salt brush...
    Last edited by SiouzQ.; 8-2-22 at 3:29pm.

Over here on the Front Range of Colorado, we are getting more than usual but very spotty. I agree the weeds are prolific. I now see pulling weeds as daily meditation time. The Desert Four O Clock is choking out everything as I was warned but so pretty. I installed a high desert strip where my fir trees blew over in December. It is blazing hot there but everything is taking off with the occasional rains. Makes me mad/sad when I see neighbors watering bluegrass lawns and nothing native all the time.

Wow, we are having a serious drought in Massachusetts, coupled with very high temperatures (for us).

I've tried to get on a routine of mulching my xeriscape area every other year, but was due last year and skipped. The weeds went nuts, so I caught up with the mulching schedule this year. They still seem to find a place between the mulch and plant margin. I totally understan not being able to mulch a larger area.

I don't know if it's common in other areas, but we've had invasive Japanese beetles the last few years. Roses and grape vines are a favorite, which they just decimate. Part of my routine is to go out and knock the ones on my beans and eggplants into soapy water. People I know with plum trees put sheets under them and shake the tree to collect them. It's a new bane to gardening here and they say they are here to stay and there's not a lot one can do about it.

I have a rain gauge and keep a record of rain, which then goes into an Excel chart. It's sort of my seasonal dementia test. I have comparisons going back for five years now. Since the first of June we've had a few sprinkles and two decent rains for a total of about two and a fourth inches. Quite a bit below average.
    Last edited by Rogar; 8-3-22 at 11:08am.

OK, I'll bite:

How green is it?

Wishing you could send the rain our way. We literally got a few drops the other day and that’s it.

Siouzq gives new meaning to the phrase its not easy being green.

Very cool!! Post pictures once you have the weeds under control. You've lived I NM for many years now--is this very unusual?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information