Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your standard for cutting back on something?

Sometimes I ask myself if it will really improve my quality of life, health, or simplify things, and what are alternatives that I already have access to.

I have cut back on many things in the past year. Switched from cable to YouTube tv and share with a friend so the cost is half. Use T-Mobile prepaid plan for 15/month. I quit going to a hairdresser to get my hair colored and a friend does it. I am getting the dogs groomed every 12 weeks instead of 8 and in between trim and bathe myself. Getting their dentals every 18 months instead of yearly. I would rather spend money on experiences than things.

Okay--I tried ta cut back on bottled water, but that did not work out.

My standard is often can I still afford this? In many cases, the answer is no, for certain grocery items, for example, or eating out, or various experiences or travel. Those are examples that come to mind. So much of my money seems to be required for taking care of family and infrastructure and moving here to where things are more expensive, it has permanently impacted our standard of living, so we hav eto cut back in many areas.

I am cutting back on subscriptions even though they are reasonable - Netflix, Dicovery +, NY Times. Now that winter is almost over I won't have the urge to use them much.

Moving is expensive as someone that has owned 10 houses and moved 30 times. I am very aware that my time may be limited to travel so am finishing my bucket list. I don’t want to have regrets.

My bucket list will never be finished…. only regret is time wasted because of covid.

As much as my mom loved to travel by her middle 80’s she was done due to lack of stamina from multiple bouts of cancer. But she liked to travel like I do which is about 2 weeks and hit it hard. Slow travel is probably easier to sustain and when we had the RV we did some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    As much as my mom loved to travel by her middle 80’s she was done due to lack of stamina from multiple bouts of cancer. But she liked to travel like I do which is about 2 weeks and hit it hard. Slow travel is probably easier to sustain and when we had the RV we did some of that.
    Reading this reminds me how I always thought travel was like a forced march...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Reading this reminds me how I always thought travel was like a forced march...
    No, travel is exciting! An adventure to be cherished and remembered. I remember all of my travels but few of the material gifts I have been given. IMO experiences triumph over physical gifts any day.

Thread Information