Thread: We Did It.

We Did It.

I am proud to say that Kansans turned out yesterday at the polls and stopped the Value Them Both amendment to the Kansas Constitution. The amendment would've allowed the state legislature to decide if abortion is legal in the state going forward (it already was and quite regulated). The supporters thought that by putting the amendment on a primary ballot which generally gets a low turn out, along with confusing language, would be an easy victory. Polls leading up to election day showed the Yes votes (for the amendment) were 49%, the Nos were 43% and Undecided 10%. Generally, you can't vote for a primary in Kansas unless you're affiliated with a party, but independents could vote on this initiative yesterday.

Well, guess what. Turnout at over 100% greater than most primaries. Nos won by a margin of 62% to 38%.

Now - on to November.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

AWESOME! Hope this is an indication on on how people vote in the November elections too. We need to keep our democracy and voting rights in tact.

I'm a big fan of the initiative process--one way citizens can assure state governments are kept in check. Sometimes initiatives backfire on their promoters, as Referendum 74 did in Washington in 2012:

"in early 2012, the state legislature passed a bill allowing same-sex marriage. However, opponents gathered sufficient signatures to send the bill to the ballot, as Referendum 74, blocking the law's implementation unless voters approved it." Fortunately, Washington voters did approve it, and the initiative was signed into law.

I'm delighted that a referendum backfired spectacularly here, too.

Congratulations!

I agree that the ballot initiative process can certainly have unexpired consequences. California’s prop 187 is an example. After it passed in 1994 the democrats were able to solidify enough of the immigrant citizen vote to turn us into the blue juggernaut that we are today.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    I am proud to say that Kansans turned out yesterday at the polls and stopped the Value Them Both amendment to the Kansas Constitution. The amendment would've allowed the state legislature to decide if abortion is legal in the state going forward (it already was and quite regulated).
    So who decides it now?

Good job, Kansas!

Beckyliz, I am happy to hear this. Let us hope some of that reasonableness bleeds over states lines. Kansas allows unrestricted abortion up to 20-22 weeks. Missouri does not allow abortion at any time unless caveats.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So who decides it now?
    The Kansas Supreme Court had decided that the kansas constitution included the right to abortion in a decision a few years ago. This was an attempt to modify the constitution to change that. It failed so the court decision stands.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Gotta say I am impressed by Kansas. I know it's had issues with a Governor named Sam Brown and I know it's deep red - but it did the right thing. Interesting side note - real estate is inexpensive - by today's standards - in Wichita. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Gotta say I am impressed by Kansas. I know it's had issues with a Governor named Sam Brown and I know it's deep red - but it did the right thing. Interesting side note - real estate is inexpensive - by today's standards - in Wichita. Rob
    Yeah - Brownback made a mess of things by cutting corporate income taxes to basically nothing. Our current Democratic governor, Laura Kelly, did a great job through the COVID mess to get us back on track. She faces a formidable Republican challenger in November, though.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information