Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Affordable New Hampshire

Looky---a joke about you kidses' fav-o-rit broadcast network, that involves New Hammshure and Catt people! Yup. Funny or not? Ha. Just curious. ETA: Case you kids cabn't read the comments, one've 'em claims she's got a lot of cats. 2022-11-12 (8).jpg

Also---I am reading that book about the high-school kids who senselessly and cruelly murdered the nice german couple who were faculty at some fancy college up there. Either NH or VT or both. But yeah---used copies of the book are very affordable. I ordered mine up for abut $4 or so. I'll let you kids know al;l the gory details, carrying on the tradition of Sister Gory Dorothie. Thankk Mee.2022-08-15 (11).jpg

I lived in an older MH in NH for years and never had a problem with heating it.

Yppej
    Looked at another house in NH. It was on a slab which I had never seen before and which is a bad idea.

Prices on high end homes are coming down some, but not regular ones as there is still such pent up demand and insufficient supply.

It was on a slab which I had never seen before and which is a bad idea.
    Why is this a bad idea? Plenty of houses in the US are built on slab. Particularly areas with a high water table.

I'd like to hear from people who have lived in slab houses in the north. They are very unpopular here. I've always wondered if its a bum rap.

There were a lot of "slab" houses in Alaska. We had a small older one in Anchorage in the 70s. They were 1. cheap to build and 2. necessary due to soil conditions and permafrost. Never had an issue. Slab foundations can be poorly built just as basements can be poorly built. Habitat for Humanity builds either crawl spaces or slabs depending on the site requirements here in Indiana.

Campanelli Ranches are built on slabs and are pretty popular in this area:

https://modernmass.com/love-for-the-ranch/

Here in the Midwest, slab houses generally indicate overall cheap construction. I’m sure one could have a conventionally built house in place on a slab, but I’m not sure I’ve seen it. And then the Midwest we need a basement to store our crap. It’s also a place to get away from the tornadoes.

Yppej
    The issue with slabs is access to heating and cooling systems. In the house I looked at these were in the attic, and not a walk-up attic either. You had to crawl through a small space and a big tech would not fit.

I asked was this done due to a high groundwater table and was not sure but it was probably a cost saving measure.

Thread Information