Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable New Hampshire

Yppej

Affordable New Hampshire

Something I could afford - and no park fees. But not until I retire - wouldn't want to deal with plowing a private road in the winter to get to work.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2942293992

Very nice! Beautiful fenced-in yard and it looks like it's pretty move-in ready. Nice views! I understand that it would be stressful trying to get to work in the winter--I wonder if you could find out the situation. You're probably not the only person on the street that has to go to work in the snow.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It is clean and tidy and certainly affordable, but a mobile home in NH? I mean, the lack of insulation would be a deal breaker for me. But perhaps this is better built than my first impression gives.

I have had more than one relative on DH’s side live in mobile homes in Northern Iowa, but they weren’t paying anything like that price, just a few thousand $ for the structure and they owned the land.

There are a lot of manufactured home communities up here in Vermont. Our neighbor's brother raised his family in one and he's probably lived in it for about 30 years. I never heard him complain about his insulation. I'm sure that varies from home to home, just like regular single-family homes. As to the price, yes, you pay to live up here. I noticed in the property history that it had considerably less market value a few years back, so, like everywhere else, the market value has risen. My mortgage company has informed me that I now have $150k equity in this little house, after only putting $33k down 5 years ago.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    I would not want that particular town because they had a mask mandate in their library through May of this year, but it goes to show that there are things that for the Northeast are affordable. So it gives me some hope.

Seems like it's not too hard around here to find out historic utility costs, but since your not interested in it, it probably doesn't matter too much.

I would go with what would be a reasonable commute to work. Lots of private roads where I have lived and somebody plows them, or neighbors pay someone. Honestly, it's not a big deal.

I would also get to NH since I think you would like it better than Mass, if it is commutable. I know that during the pandemic, I drove through Vermont and NH on the way to Maine, the week of Christmas, and both governors gave press releases about visiting family during the pandemic, and Vermont was limiting people to only one side of the family--it was pretty funny--and NH was saying, we don't tell people to pick among family members, just be responsible. the messages were like 20 minutes apart on the radio, and the tone was so different, and I think you'd like NH a whole lot more.

We go to NH to shop since it has no sales tax and it is the closest shopping to us. I have lived in Massachusetts and Maine now, and will say I like Vermont and Maine the best, but that is because the White Mountain driving is very hairy and unpleasant. (And guess who lives in the White Mountains?)

Yppej
    I work in the Tri-state area and I feel there is some political correctness spillover from both MA and VT in the southwestern corner of NH closest to work. Probably I would like places more in central NH away from the big cities.

A recent survey showed more NH residents would like to see their state become its own country than approve of Joe Biden. So it is very different politically.

It took me years to buy my home and it may take me years to move to NH too. I remember sitting down and crying thinking I would never get a home of my own, but eventually I did. And I like to think I will achieve this also.

I looked at 29 homes and put in offers on 9 before one was accepted.

ETA: The home I have now has no insulation. I had some blown in years ago and it has all disintegrated with time. The pink strips are the way to go, unless like the ones I had mice build nests in them and they have to be ripped out.

Yppej
    Went to another open house in my maskfree target community and found out the town is 100% on septic. Although out of my league just to get a sense of the place I went to an open house of a new construction 4 bedroom home. They only put in a 1250 gallon tank. The previous home abutted a lake and was on septic. Today it was raining and I saw lots of whitish bubbles on the road there and also in the parking lot of a store I stopped at and I wondered what is that? Probably septage coming up the surface. Very gross!

Back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Something I could afford - and no park fees. But not until I retire - wouldn't want to deal with plowing a private road in the winter to get to work.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2942293992
    More and more, I find myself considering mobile homes for their minimal property taxes, lack of common walls, tiny yards, and low purchase prices. There's a nice mobile home park in my town that fronts on a small river. They generally go for around $300K. Mobile homes are sturdier built now--to code, I think. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the right one.

Thread Information