Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable New Hampshire

Yppej
    Jane, I saw on John Oliver how a mobile home park starts out good and then is bought and the new owner(s) jack up the park fees to where people can no longer afford to live there.

There are a few towns in Massachusetts that are freer than the city where I live, and whose libraries I went to when banned from my own.

Community A never required masks, but is more expensive and just as densely populated with similar crime issues. It's freedom culture is also in part due to the mayor, now in his 60's, so that's concerning. I asked their BOH to talk to my BOH and they refused rather brusquely. The BOH chair is an alcoholic in the paper for drunk driving and not exactly a model of good health. Possible but not promising unless there is a real deal on a property outside the congested central city.

Community B required masks but only briefly. They are more expensive and nicer. I contacted their Board of Health and asked them to speak to my BOH about governing without a mask mandate and while they declined they were very nice. Tried to buy here 25 years ago and failed. Will need a housing recession to get in here. Nicest of the communities.

Community C also rarely had a mask mandate. BOH never responded to my invite to talk to my BOH but I know some fellow activists there. Cost of living is high. Further to work. Would only consider if an opening in my company comes up closer to this area.

Community D never mandated masks, but at one point closed the library due to a covid spike for a couple weeks. Known for low taxes and lower housing costs. This will be my next focus. It's rural but almost too much so. No grocery store or cheap gas. The closest of the towns to where I work now.

Southeastern VT would be an option also, but probably lots of covidians there.

ETA I continue my efforts to bring accountability and justice where I am now. If our septuaginarian mayor ever retires things might get better.

It's tough to predict where regions might rise and fall along the political spectrum. We're apparently entering an authoritarian era, which concerns me a great deal. So I think you're wise to research and familiarize yourself as much as possible with areas that interest you.

I know mobile home parks can be dodgy with their space rentals. I have my eye on a few wherein you buy the lot you park on. Wish there were more of those.

Yppej
    Yes, authoritarianism is on the rise among various factions, including both major US political parties.

Yppej
    Set out to attend two open houses in Community D in Massachusetts.

The first one the realtor did not show up. Other people were waiting too.

The second one it appeared the realtor did not show up either. There was a motorcycle but with their signs etc I've never known a realtor to go around on a motorcycle. There was no open house sign or balloons. The house was advertised as fundamentals all done and only needs cosmetics, but there was loose Tyvek hanging off the house and some of the windows were boarded up.

The community is definitely freer AKA no apparent zoning. Probably anything decent is out of my price range though.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's tough to predict where regions might rise and fall along the political spectrum. We're apparently entering an authoritarian era, which concerns me a great deal. So I think you're wise to research and familiarize yourself as much as possible with areas that interest you.

I know mobile home parks can be dodgy with their space rentals. I have my eye on a few wherein you buy the lot you park on. Wish there were more of those.
    Is this what you mean by "dodgy"? Just Curious. 2022-08-13.jpg

If you should decide to sample a bit of New Hampshire, you might stay for a week at a cabin, located near Gorham, NH. 2022-08-14.jpg

Yppej
    LBB that is the part of the state with more available housing, but it's nowhere near my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    LBB that is the part of the state with more available housing, but it's nowhere near my job.
    That is understandable. Especially that you are making New Hampshire your home. It is beautiful there, and the people are too. My suggestion was not all that practical for you, I now realize. But, maybe Vermont is the place for you. But yeah---here's photo of a lady who testified at the Biker VS Trucker Trial up there. She's "gorgeous" as they say up there(instead of awesome and amazing)and personality plus, but I'd bet the dimples are implants. The jury thought she was fake, too.Yup. What do you kids think? Just Curious.2022-08-15 (3).jpg

Yppej
    Vermont is too woke, like Massachusetts, unless again you go way up north too far from my job. There was one school district in the Northeast Kingdom that did not impose a mask mandate.

It fascinates me that a certain class of people call our president ‘sleepy joe’* but simultaneously are proud to call themselves sleepy. (They don’t actually call themselves sleepy but since they disparage ‘woke’ people I can only assume they themselves prefer to be sleepy.)

*this in itself is also strange since he has managed to get congress to pass more of his agenda in less than two years than any other president in my lifetime.

Thread Information