Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New usernames and their significance.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mrs-M

New usernames and their significance.

I love usernames. (The variety and mixture interests me). Anyhow, seems a good number of former SL members chose to carry on using their old names (great for people like me, thanks for that), but for those of you who made changes to your usernames, what made you change-up your name? How did you come up with your new one?

The old forums were the next-to-last place I actually used my real name, the other being my own homesteading forum. I just changed to be consistent with my on-line identity.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

I changed mine toward the end of the old forum & the reason was that my user name was almost randomly chosen due to something on my desk, so I changed it to something that reflects me better (am a mother, like crafting & speak German).

I've condensed mine back to my first initial and last name. I don't know why I used both my first and last name on the old forum. I tried to think of some clever name, but the old standby's I usually use seemed worn out, and I couldn't think of anything new.

I changed my name from "She-Rah" - an old nickname - to Spartana because my friends and family seem to think I live like a Spartan Warrior. In that I prefer small, sparely furnished digs, minimal stuff, a somewhat stoic kind of life of self-imposted deprivement (although that kind of life makes me feel very happy so i don't consider it either stoic or deprivation to live without an Ipod ;-)!), lots of torturous physical challenges (again - it makes me happy), and I'm sort of militant about my very very basic lifestyle.

Editted to add: I just PMed KIB asking to change my name as I don't like "Spartana" - can't get the image of Kirk Douglas et al shouting out "I am Spartacus". "No, I am Spartacus" out of my head. So going to "Lazy Lindi" from now on (hopefully) as it fits me better.
    Last edited by Spartana; 1-7-11 at 1:35pm.

Anne Lee more or less represents a lot of who I am: the "real" me, my past, my simple journey, important people in my life.

Anne is my first name. Lee is not my name but I've known and loved a Lee or two. Ann Lee (note: Ann w/o the e) was a founder of the Shakers who are known for their simplicity, devotion to God and BA furniture, all of which I admire. Their unfortunate commitment to celibacy more or less scotched that particular sect and makes me think they were terribly short sighted but I hold them in regard all the same.

As to the past, I was raised literally down the road from where the Shakers settled and close to where Mother Ann is buried, although, when I was a kid I only knew Ann Lee as the name of the local nursing home and a skating pond.

I'm still getting used to the name. All in all, it's a good fit for me now till I decide to change.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Smile

SL is my longest standing online commitment/community (since '98), so here I was still andi but everywhere else "WorldFoodie". I chose "World" for my love of travel and I've litterally been round the world. I could join the Circumnavigators group but its not "me". The word frugal could apply here, but hey, I didn't want a long name.
    Also I love food, it's exciting new experiences, and eating in small ethnic eateries, so thus "Foodie".
    Cheers,
    WorldFoodie

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Lee View Post
    Anne Lee more or less represents a lot of who I am: the "real" me, my past, my simple journey, important people in my life.

Anne is my first name. Lee is not my name but I've known and loved a Lee or two. Ann Lee (note: Ann w/o the e) was a founder of the Shakers who are known for their simplicity, devotion to God and BA furniture, all of which I admire. Their unfortunate commitment to celibacy more or less scotched that particular sect and makes me think they were terribly short sighted but I hold them in regard all the same.

As to the past, I was raised literally down the road from where the Shakers settled and close to where Mother Ann is buried, although, when I was a kid I only knew Ann Lee as the name of the local nursing home and a skating pond.

I'm still getting used to the name. All in all, it's a good fit for me now till I decide to change.

Hi Ann Lee -- funny but I just got off wikipedia reading about the Shakers. Do love them also. Did see there are only four remaining members and they are hoping for more members.

Once I wanted to take a vacation that would lead to all of the shaker sites. Haven't done it yet but maybe someday.

I love the song Tis A Gift to be simple and would love to hear more of their songs and see an re-enactment of their dancing.

: ) Christine

Stella is my family nickname. My given name is Stephanie and my younger stister started using Stella as a nickname a million years ago because Stephanie is long and she is lazy. I suppose I shouldn't tease her about that since about 90% of the time I shorten her name, McKenzie, to just the letter "K". Anyway, it stuck and I have been Stella and Stephanie pretty much interchangeably since childhood. Since Stella is less common and therefor not as frequently taken on internet forums, I use Stella.

I was camllan on the old forum and I just wanted a change. Miss Celane is sort of "miscellany" made into what looks like a name, if you treat the final "e" as a long "e." Because my brain is full of tons of useless miscellaneous information.

Thread Information