Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wisconsin Primary Today

[QUOTE=frugal-one;412456]
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If you are really making the argument “Social Security is needed” then I hardly consider that an argument. It’s a broad statement of fact.

I don’t know anything about Ron Johnson’s positions but after your comment I briefly skimmed recent press about his Social Security and Medicare position, and he’s been saying the same thing consistently throughout his Senate career, that they should be a budget items. Controllable that way through congressional budget appropriations.

It appears you think he is proposing eliminating security Medicare and I don’t know why you think that. Please explain why you think that.[/
    ……

The junior senator from Wisconsin wants to put Medicare and Social Security on the chopping block," Schumer told reporters last Wednesday, according to the Washington Post. "He would like to revoke the guarantee of Medicare and Social Security and make them discretionary. Well, you know what happens when we make things discretionary around here? All too often, they get cut or even eliminated. We don’t want to do that.”

Johnson does not support cutting the programs altogether, a spokeswoman for Johnson, Alexa Henning, told the outlet.

"The senator’s point was that without fiscal discipline and oversight typically found with discretionary spending, Congress has allowed the guaranteed benefits for programs like Social Security and Medicare to be threatened," Henning said.
    Fiscal discipline. Wow, what a concept. We surely do want to nip that in the bud.

Besides any Medicare/Social Security budget appropriation coming from Congress could just as easily go up as well as down. You all know this. This would seem to me to be an automatic vote in for Democrats for now until the end of time. I think you all may be missing out on an opportunity here.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That’s right. There were four parties on the ballot, but you could only vote for one party’s primary race.
    What keeps people from voting for their preferred candidate in their party and also voting for a fringe candidate for the same office in the opposing party?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What keeps people from voting for their preferred candidate in their party and also voting for a fringe candidate for the same office in the opposing party?
    That would invalidate the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The man in the mirror reflects on the fact that his neighbors who haven’t taken down their Trump signs yet regard him as a “”RINO”, while others dissolve into a puddle of puerile put downs if he doesn’t want to exterminate the Republican Party root and branch.

As he scrapes off his graying stubble, he decides that he can’t go far wrong enraging the rabid fringe elements of all stripes.
    Sorry. If you voted for Rojo the traitor clown you're no better than the rabid fringe on the right. You've tossed whatever principals you once had in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So, are you saying that you received one ballot with both Republican and Democratic candidates and were able to pick and choose candidates from either party?
    Voting underway in Wisconsin's partisan primary. Here's everything you need to know | Govt-and-politics | kenoshanews.com
    Do I have to declare a party affiliation?

"No. Wisconsin has open primaries, meaning you don’t need to register with a particular party in order to vote in that party’s primary. You choose which primary you want to vote in when you complete your ballot."
    I was there and know the rules.

[QUOTE=iris lilies;412473]
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Fiscal discipline. Wow, what a concept. We surely do want to nip that in the bud.

Besides any Medicare/Social Security budget appropriation coming from Congress could just as easily go up as well as down. You all know this. This would seem to me to be an automatic vote in for Democrats for now until the end of time. I think you all may be missing out on an opportunity here.
    Good idea. Johnson wants to cut it and, as we both well know, it will be hell to get it back again.

Thread Information