Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mobile home communities

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Many times if you contact the community, they will have listings of people who want to rent. Some buy just for the sake of renting them out. Our landlord has 2 rentals.
    Are they running the mostly for the winter season, or are they rented year round, or?

IL.. it depends on the landlord. We rent for the season. We pay a flat fee to stay up to 7 months. Some rent by the month or just a few months (depending on what else they have going on). Obviously, most would rather rent to those that stay longer. I have not seen many in the retirement communities that rent year round but there probably are some.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    IL.. it depends on the landlord. We rent for the season. We pay a flat fee to stay up to 7 months. Some rent by the month or just a few months (depending on what else they have going on). Obviously, most would rather rent to those that stay longer. I have not seen many in the retirement communities that rent year round but there probably are some.
    How much do you pay for a seven month stay?

My other little problem with doing the two house thing is two neurotic senior cats who go ballistic at any mention of a car ride. It would mean hiring a petsitter or house sitter for several months.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    My other little problem with doing the two house thing is two neurotic senior cats who go ballistic at any mention of a car ride. It would mean hiring a petsitter or house sitter for several months.
    Oh, yikes. That is a problem.

For our crew in past years I could have gotten by with one pet sitter visit every two days, so that would work out to around $50 per months. Our cats were eating dry food.

Okay----"Mobile Home Communities"? Are they anything like a good old-fashion "Trailer Court"? I figure they offer the worst features of home ownership & renting, combined. The only thing worse is "owning", and having a HOA to contend with. Yup. 2022-07-22 (8).jpg2022-08-13.jpg

little bobby... have you lived in a senior mobile home community? If not, "figuring" doesn't cut it.

Interesting topic as I have been reading all I can on the manufactured home regulations in MI, as it is something we may be looking into. Yes many have been being bought up by private equity firms or large corporations specializing in this. I see there are some new bills the state is looking at to stabilize rent increasing,. MI does not have a cap on raising the lease fees currently. Or if they real estate becomes more valuable then a park.
    Today I walked through the local park and new home. This was a family owned park for 60 years, sold two years ago to a large company. It is still a lovely park and an extension onto the lake is being developed. As I understand there was no set lot rent price, many had very different prices depending on how long you had been there. The new company is equalizing rents to bring all up to a level that seems very acceptable. This however has angered those that had been there for years/lifetime. I understood the anger, but on the flip side the ones that paid twice as much are probably feeling better.
    The home was lovely, but not sure if that is really an option for us, but we are on wait list for lake front.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Okay----"Mobile Home Communities"? Are they anything like a good old-fashion "Trailer Court"? I figure they offer the worst features of home ownership & renting, combined. The only thing worse is "owning", and having a HOA to contend with. Yup. 2022-07-22 (8).jpg2022-08-13.jpg
    From my standpoint, a standalone dwelling without common walls, with low buy-in and low property taxes, plus minimal grounds upkeep would be nearly perfect. I won't likely buy another house, and I have no desire to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    From my standpoint, a standalone dwelling without common walls, with low buy-in and low property taxes, plus minimal grounds upkeep would be nearly perfect. I won't likely buy another house, and I have no desire to rent.
    I live full time in a 386 sq ft home- 29 years old, one of the first “park model RVs” (it has no holding tanks of any kind). I pay monthly lot rent, which includes water, sewer, and garbage/recycling fees, as assessed by the county run “garbage” company.
    And I pay electricity directly to PG&E. My taxes consist of the annual DMV fee for my home, which is less than $200. There is a community coin laundry, which I use; I love being able to call the office when a machine goes down, and not have to pay for the service call/repair etc!

The draw for me was country living, where no one blinks an eye over me having 3 dogs- I was restricted to 1 dog in the apartment in the city- and all the trees and wildlife, and the river right here. I can garden to my heart’s content- or not. Nobody cares. We are 20 miles to shopping, medical services etc.
    My home was incredibly inexpensive; it was an overstuffed house, husband died of cancer 5 weeks after diagnosis, then wife packed a few things in her car and moved to Illinois where she has family. I spent the best part of a month cleaning it out, then painted inside, and had new subfloors and sheet vinyl floors installed before I moved in.

Most of the year it’s very quiet and peaceful with only about 40 of 100 homes occupied full time, everyone else is Seasonal. They pay monthly lot rent, and come when they want. The park pays for the upkeep of the roads and our driveways, street lights, mosquito abatement. There is a convenience store, and restaurant. The park also operates an adjacent 54 space campground that it used mostly by fisher people in the river fishing seasons, March-April and September- early October.

California has pretty strict laws regarding park owner responsibilities- and they do check up routinely.

Thread Information