Thread: Resilient Cone Flower

Resilient Cone Flower

A friend gave me three cone flowers in the autumn of 2021. They survived the winter, but they were browsed by deer.

I put metal cages over the remains of the plants, and they were not browsed after that. Blossoms formed, and arose on stalks through the tops of the cages. Of all the blossoms in my garden, these cone flowers are most symbolic of resilience. (We need all the resilience we can muster!)

I intend to keep cages over the plants year-round.

In the attached picture, the background foliage is asparagus.

000_0652 (2).JPG

Very pretty!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I love coneflowers. The deer here don't seem to care for them!!! Hostas are the snack of choice.

I have conflowers but they haven’t been “browsed.” I’m putting a new variety in the ground today.

There are some rudebeckia/echinacea hybrids tgat have been on the market a few years and they’re interesting although I do not have any—yet.The deer like my Rudebeckia if I remember correctly. I haven’t paid attention to that part of my garden this year. I wonder if they will like these hybrids?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have conflowers but they haven’t been “browsed.” I’m putting a new variety in the ground today.

There are some rudebeckia/echinacea hybrids tgat have been on the market a few years and they’re interesting although I do not have any—yet.The deer like my Rudebeckia if I remember correctly. I haven’t paid attention to that part of my garden this year. I wonder if they will like these hybrids?
    I was just at the garden center and they were selling "Echibeckia" which I assume is the hybrid you're talking about. They looked almost like small sunflowers.

Good for you, dado, for protecting your coneflowers! I love mine--and knock on wood, we don't get deer browsing here at all!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was just at the garden center and they were selling "Echibeckia" which I assume is the hybrid you're talking about. They looked almost like small sunflowers.

Good for you, dado, for protecting your coneflowers! I love mine--and knock on wood, we don't get deer browsing here at all!!
    that’s it, Echibeckia. I couldn’t think of the name.

The bunnies seem to find my coneflowers irresistible!

Groundhogs like them, too.

joke I just read on the Interwebs: Woman is talking to her dad on the phone, tells him her husband is in bed with a cold. Dad says: "have you considered euthanasia?" Woman hears her mom yelling in the background: "for the last time, it's ECHINACEA!"

Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    joke I just read on the Interwebs: Woman is talking to her dad on the phone, tells him her husband is in bed with a cold. Dad says: "have you considered euthanasia?" Woman hears her mom yelling in the background: "for the last time, it's ECHINACEA!"
    LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information