Thread: First curb side experience!

First curb side experience!

We replaced our window AC with a floor unit this year. Our old AC worked great, but the only window it fit in was the kitchen window over the sink. Huge ordeal to take in and out. A real back breaker. I finally hauled it out to the curb with a FREE AIR CONDITIONER sign. Bagged up the owners manual, remote and a note to say they should hose out before using. I went to the back yard to mow and by the time I had finished mowing it was gone. Woohoo! I see it as a win win. Got a couple of bicycles I am going to check over and I see a perfect tree to lean them up with a FREE sign. Have you put free stuff out - or found some treasures curbside?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    We replaced our window AC with a floor unit this year. Our old AC worked great, but the only window it fit in was the kitchen window over the sink. Huge ordeal to take in and out. A real back breaker. I finally hauled it out to the curb with a FREE AIR CONDITIONER sign. Bagged up the owners manual, remote and a note to say they should hose out before using. I went to the back yard to mow and by the time I had finished mowing it was gone. Woohoo! I see it as a win win. Got a couple of bicycles I am going to check over and I see a perfect tree to lean them up with a FREE sign. Have you put free stuff out - or found some treasures curbside?
    in the city we had Ally‘s where we put stuff. Pickers came through the alleys. Metal kitchen appliances were gone within half a day.

I have a floor unit air conditioner in my condo and it is OK but not as good as a window air conditioner.

Yes, both. When I lived in the city, we routinely put “good stuff” out on the curb. It was always gone within a couple of hours. Where I live now, we have a central place to put things for give away. I found a half full can of Watco there, exactly what I needed to complete a project.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    in the city we had Ally‘s where we put stuff. Pickers came through the alleys. Metal kitchen appliances were gone within half a day.
    I have a floor unit air conditioner in my condo and it is OK but not as good as a window air conditioner.
    I agree, our window unit cooled our little house much better.

Congrats Greg! And, yes, we have picked up and item or two as well as left items out. We call it our "magic sidewalk" as items usually disappear quickly.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

All the time. Just today we picked up a patio umbrella in the alley. It has a broken spine but we are using to shade some plants until the heat wave passes. In our last city, we had what we called dung beetle day where the whole city could put out their big stuff for pick up by the city. Folks in pickups would be out very early picking up all the freebies by the curb.

That is definitely a win-win! I'm sure the recipients are even more thrilled than you are!

We definitely had that experience in spades when we moved up here and went through The Purge of our home, and for at least a month before we moved out we put things on the curb regularly. Sometimes I would "catch" the takers and it was gratifying to see who was giving our things a new home.

Just the other day I was taking a walk in my neighborhood and one of my neighbors had put a queen mattress out on the side of the main road, with a note explaining its limited prior usage. I, for one, would never take a mattress from the street. I watched them drop it off, and I was headed toward the main road on my walk. A minute later a pick-up truck turned into our road. Seeing me, the driver asked, 'Are you interested in the mattress?" I told him, no, I'm just going for a walk--he is free to take it. He said, "Well, I sure don't want to take it if you want it." I assured him that it was all his. He was thrilled. That mattress warmed the grass for no more than 2 minutes.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I appreciated the person in a nearby neighborhood who put a note on the mattress in the alley alerting everyone that it had bedbugs.

I emptied a entire house by putting many items on the curb. When I wanted to give away a mattress in winter I kept it in the house and put it online for free. No problem getting someone to take it.

I put big pieces of furniture on the curb. Bookcases go especially quickly, but I can't think of anything that didn't get taken. Well, actually, we had to get an old dollhouse of my daughter's (not in good shape) and some equally dilapidated outdoor chairs picked up by the city bulk item pick-up, but that's it.

I give a LOT to our local Buy Nothing Group. It's so nice to see things reused and not go to the landfill, especially since I think Goodwill must have to put a lot of stuff in the trash.

Thread Information