Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: English Cottage Decor

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    855 sq feet… I could definitely do that as a single person. I would want some outdoor space On the ground, but that’s easy enough to find in public planting areas.
    A friend lived in an 800 sq. foot home for awhile with their spouse and child. They had a huge lot and a fully finished office outside, though. I could live in 800 to 1200 sq.ft., using Iris Lily's criteria.

I have a balcony which was a must for me. 4 people can sit outside. I didn’t look at any condos without it. Also I have side and overhead protection. One condo didn’t and if windy you couldn’t sit outside so I passed on that building. I have plants outside in good weather and can sit outside in my pjs and drink coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have a balcony which was a must for me. 4 people can sit outside. I didn’t look at any condos without it. Also I have side and overhead protection. One condo didn’t and if windy you couldn’t sit outside so I passed on that building. I have plants outside in good weather and can sit outside in my pjs and drink coffee.
    So, BIL has finally hit ground zero with his finances, and he landed in VT. A bit traumatic for all of us, but things are working out fine so far. With DH's "encouragement" BIL managed to get a job and an apartment in Burlington within 2 weeks.

Point being, his new apartment has a huge outdoor deck/balcony that's the full width of the house he's living in. He can people-watch from it, smoke, and just enjoy the outdoors from the second floor. The balcony was definitely a huge selling point.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wow that is fantastic news, Catherine! Good for him, and the apartment sounds really wonderful. Makes me think of the old days living in an apartment off campus in the Berkshires, how cozy and beautiful it all was.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, BIL has finally hit ground zero with his finances, and he landed in VT. A bit traumatic for all of us, but things are working out fine so far. With DH's "encouragement" BIL managed to get a job and an apartment in Burlington within 2 weeks.

Point being, his new apartment has a huge outdoor deck/balcony that's the full width of the house he's living in. He can people-watch from it, smoke, and just enjoy the outdoors from the second floor. The balcony was definitely a huge selling point.
    good news I guess. This job market is heavily in his favor. It is a good time to be broke,

good news I guess. This job market is heavily in his favor. It is a good time to be broke,
    Good time to be broke and underskilled. Please pray for him to whoever your god may be! (And pray for us, too! We need this to go well!)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Good time to be broke and underskilled. Please pray for him to whoever your god may be! (And pray for us, too! We need this to go well!)
    If you think you are going to be tangentially managing his life from where you are now, get him on the waitlist for senior housing in his Vermont area.

If those digs don’t meet his rarefied expectations, too FKng bad.

If you think you are going to be tangentially managing his life from where you are now, get him on the waitlist for senior housing in his Vermont area.

If those digs don’t meet his rarefied expectations, too FKng bad.
    That's what we're thinking. There are a lot of affordable housing options in the area.

Catherine, good thing your home is too small to take in your bil. Definitely a good idea to get him on the waitlist for housing. Some people here that like to garden grow vegetables in pots on their balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, good thing your home is too small to take in your bil. Definitely a good idea to get him on the waitlist for housing. Some people here that like to garden grow vegetables in pots on their balcony.
    My DIL-to-be is a horticulturalist and she really did a beautiful job in the summer on her/DS's 2nd floor apartment balcony. People walking by would stop and comment on it. I can see BIL maybe growing cherry tomatoes in a container or something like that.

Thread Information