Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping bags

Shopping bags

Today at the grocery store the woman in front of me at the checkout didn’t use any plastic bags for her vegetables. She just placed them all on the conveyor belt naked. Even stuff like scallions and Boston lettuce. Then as the checker scanned everything she put it right back into the cart without any shopping bags. I don’t trust the cleanliness of the conveyor belt enough to do that but I’m curious if anyone here does something similar.

I’d also at least use reusable shopping bags (I’ve been using the same 3 bags for the two years we’ve lived in the suburbs. I keep them in the trunk of my car) to pack everything up after checking out so that I didn’t have to make 40 trips from car to house like this woman will. She had a full cart of groceries all just piled up.

Yep. I put mine naked on the belt, too. I do take the plastic shopping bags. Use them for all sorts of stuff and pass some to coworkers for dog poop bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Yep. I put mine naked on the belt, too. I do take the plastic shopping bags. Use them for all sorts of stuff and pass some to coworkers for dog poop bags.
    The random (rare) times SO does the shopping he brings home the plastic shopping bags. Just about enough for us to use one per week for kitty litter so it works out.

We have reusable shopping bags, but we do use the store-provided disposable plastic bags for produce. They get a second use with kitty litter, poison ivy seedlings, etc.

Poison ivy seedlings? Do you grow it intentionally?

I have netted bags for produce. Some I made and some I bought. Easy to see through so the cashier is not guessing on the contents.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I read somewhere (Sparkle Hayter maybe?) that poison ivy in window boxes is quite pretty, and has the added advantage of making peepers and perps who try to climb through your windows suffer for their actions, lol.

But I suspect rr does as I do - puts one's hand in plastic bag, removes small poison plant, turns bag back over plant, thus giving a touchless way to remove said plant, much as one may do with *ahem* any other offending matter.

I put produce in produce bags, though. These we reuse, or in the case of our TJ bags - compost.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    She probably means she pulls them and puts them in garbage, not composting them.

I do the naked-belt thing. Stuff gets washed at home, plus I see the checkers cleaning the belt all the time. I'm pretty laid back about this kind of stuff, I guess. I don't like bringing home plastic. We have string reusable produce bags, but since DH does most of the shopping, they are almost always in his trunk.

The lady with the miscellaneous unbagged stuff in her cart may have some kind of transport carton or gizmo in her car she transfers everything to. Who knows? You didn't say if she's old, but she may have trouble lifting bags.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I'd prefer not to get too many plastic bags ( I think my city has banned them anyway), so naked produce doesn't bother me.

Thread Information