Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shopping bags

We have a couple of grab bags in each vehicle, including one each of the insulated kind for frozen items. They're pretty sturdy and fold up nicely for storage. Not sure where we got them.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Just read that Colorado is banning plastic bags and styrofoam effective Jan 2024. Also saw a blurb that our local Walmarts will no longer have plastic bags but don't know when that starts or if it's nationwide. We were just talking about how much trash we would be putting out if we didn't compost. Change will be hard for many who don't give a second thought to their actions.
    So, does that mean Colorado is banning all plastic bags? Like trash bags? VT has eliminated plastic bags in stores, and we've adapted. The only time I miss plastic bags is when I dog sit my DDs dogs.

So glad they are banning styrofoam. Nothing really "environmental" about trhe fact that I HATE styrofoam, but the squeak of it is like nails on a blackboard to me. I can't load food or cans into a styrofoam cooler, or take out a product encased in styrofoam in a box. I simply can't. DH has to do it. Then, layered onto that, is the fact that it's nasty stuff to begin with.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Suppose you buy lettuce, scallions, carrots, parsley, what exactly do you store it in in the fridge if not the produce bags? Naked in the veggie drawer? Any particular storage containers?

It's never made much sense to me. Nor has getting rid of grocery bags when I use them for trash but I use paper bags for that, so banning plastic grocery bags is fine with me (they kind of are banned many places here but nor is the law entirely followed)
    Trees don't grow on money

I have plastic spoilage-retardant boxes similar to these"
    https://smile.amazon.com/Vegetable-C...%2C184&sr=8-31

And several large glass containers.

I have plastic spoilage-retardant boxes similar to these
    that makes sense. When I have tried to find out how to store produce not using produce bags in the past, I have mostly come across answers like put your parsley in a mason charge in water like it was a flower in a vase. And it was like no way I have time to take up parsley arranging or arranging of various other vegetable bouquets in my fridge.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    that makes sense. When I have tried to find out how to store produce not using produce bags in the past, I have mostly come across answers like put your parsley in a mason charge in water like it was a flower in a vase. And it was like no way I have time to take up parsley arranging or arranging of various other vegetable bouquets in my fridge.
    "Produce savers" seems to be an effective search term for these. There are special containers for herbs, but--like you--I'm not going there.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I have netted bags for produce. Some I made and some I bought. Easy to see through so the cashier is not guessing on the contents.
    Yes! There are reusable bags you can make or buy for produce.

Trying to recall how we dealt with things before plastic bags. Paper bags in the trash can. Trash cans were made of metal and got rinsed out. I don't think we ate a lot of fresh produce unless fresh-picked. There weren't a zillion dogs pooping everywhere. In any case, we lived without plastic.

These bags work very well. I wash them out and hang to dry. They last a long time. I have used other brands that work well too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015Y7B57U...2-587d01f975e8

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Trying to recall how we dealt with things before plastic bags. Paper bags in the trash can. Trash cans were made of metal and got rinsed out. I don't think we ate a lot of fresh produce unless fresh-picked. There weren't a zillion dogs pooping everywhere. In any case, we lived without plastic.
    The zillion dogs were pooping everywhere--they were mostly free-range. We just let it break down. My partner had a dog-poop phobia from childhood encounters.

Thread Information