Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm so old I've...

I'm so old I remember the whole class having to stand and say the Lords Prayer first thing every morning. This was in a public school. There's no way that would happen now days.

Minimum wage pay at my first job at Foxmoor Casusals (a cheapo junior clothing store) at the mall was $2.35/hour. I felt rich when I got my paychecks because that meant I could purchase my own cheapo clothing at a discount!
    The priceless thing about that job was my manager (I don't remember her name) who taught me excellent work skills that I still abide by today in all of my various retail jobs.

It of sad to realize that 30-odd years later, minimum wage is only $7.65/hr? Certainly not a living wage AT ALL!

Mrs-M
    Yes, Libby, I remember the same! 1970's for me, and you're right, it definitely wouldn't fly today!

SiouzQ. How incredibly awful, that in thirty years, that's the best minimum wage has evolved, but how fun is to reflect on old times. I was a floor-staff employee for Pharmasave back in the early 80's and I remember getting $3.75/hour. I also felt rich!

I'm so old I grew up without a TV or a phone in the house. My first (mainframe) computer programs were stored on punched paper tape, and later punched cards. My first home computer had 5K or RAM, and cassette tape for storage, not even a floppy disk. In my 20s I lived for several years in a house with no fridge.

I'm so old that when my Mum worked as a fruit picker in the summer, us kids went along and played in the farm fields among the ladders and machinery, rode on the trailer with the fruit, and watched the strawberry fields burned off. We shopped on the "parade" at the end of our street, with its butcher, baker, fishmonger, post office, greengrocer, etc. (The guy who ran the greengrocer's is still alive in his late 80's - he grows lots of vegetable seedlings every year, gives them away to neighbors like my Mum, and plants them along the back alley.)

My partner is so old he grew up on a farm in northern BC with no electricity and no running water. In the winter they closed off most of the farmhouse and all of them - parents, 6 kids, and the hired man - lived and slept in the kitchen where the wood-stove was.

Mrs-M
    I love it Kevin1!!! Good times. I'm so darn distraught with myself right now over forgetting one I thought of while outside this afternoon. Grumble, grumble, grumble...

anyone else remember mimeograph machines? AHHH the good old days.

Just the other day DH and I were discussing ice trays--the metal ones with a handle that you pulled the loosen the cubes. I also remember when hula hoops were new and all the rage. I remember before air-conditioning the hand fans at church that were provided by the local funeral home. Anyone remember wind up alarm clocks? DH remembers using a slide rule; I think he still has his old slide rule. Remember when phone numbers had 4 digits? Learning how to fill a fountain pen?

Gawd, I am ancient....

Quote Originally Posted by Water&Air View Post
    anyone else remember mimeograph machines? AHHH the good old days.
    not only do I remember them, I loved the smell of freshly memeographed handouts the teachers use to give us!

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    Learning how to fill a fountain pen?

Gawd, I am ancient....
    I still fill a fountain pen. I love writing in my journal with fountain pens.

Mrs-M
    Water&air. Definitely! I remember the warmth and smell of the paper afterwards.

Florence. I remember the old metal ice cube trays from back when I was a kid. We were never allowed to get cubes from them out of fear we would cut ourselves, at least that what my folks always told us!

Question about fountain pens. Do they still ruin work by leaving big ink globs and things?

Thread Information