Thread: Crime

Crime

For 30 years I lived in big urban areas (NYC, Jersey City and most recently San Francisco of course). In all that time I was only once a property crime victim, when my bike got stolen while locked in front of Barnes and noble 25 years ago. Even parking my car on the street for 3 years in San Francisco didn’t result in anything happening despite car break-ins being a routine thing for many people there.

Now we live in the suburbs and the only crime I’ve heard about from the various neighbors I talk to is the kid down the street who was killing wildlife up the hill behind our houses with an air gun from his bedroom window.

But last night, two years into our suburban lifestyle, we became property crime victims. Someone came onto our front porch and stole a potted fern plant. (Of all the absurd things to steal…. Our next door neighbor has much prettier plants and pots for them.). I’ve got video of the woman from the security camera. I’m strongly tempted to make a sign with a picture of her that says ‘return my plant or I’ll share the video of this with the police’ and post it on the group mailboxes of our development and the neighboring ones. I’m also going to join our hoa’s monthly zoom meeting next week and bring this up. She had tattoos all over her legs so someone probably knows who she is and after the call I’m sure the neighborhood gossip mill will be all over this.

How odd - a fern?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    How odd - a fern?
    Yeah. A fern. That we bought in Florida 20 years ago at the airport for a couple dollars. It’s not like she could sell it or anything.

Potted plants are regular thefts in my city neighborhood.

Just ran into next door neighbor. She hasn’t had any plants stolen (her plants are much nicer and not in cheap plastic pots like our fern) but did have a bird feeder stolen recently. Showed her the security video and she didn’t recognize the woman but since she spends hours working in her plants if the woman walks past she’ll now notice her.

Ha. A Fern? Okay---DON'T move here, then. They will steal VERY important things from you! But, you can always buy it back(or something of equal value)for a deep discount at the Swap meet or Pawn shop or Flea Market or on CL. So, it all evens out. Hope that helps you some. And-------2022-07-22 (8).jpg2022-08-12 (5).jpgThing is---the thieves quite often HAVE a job! That way, they can use the company truck to drive around, scoping out stuff to steal, and using it to haul their finds home. Yup.

Thread Information