Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stocking up/inflation & shortages

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Attachment 4808

I planted 18 tomato plants and we had a bumper crop. This is the bitter end still on the vine. I have boxes and boxes in the garage. I have been cooking and preserving every day for weeks. I also have a ton of bell peppers and sweet onions. I'm on salsa duty for the family reunion this weekend.
    maybe many of us will be as ambitious as you and plant our own victory gardens which helped many people survive during WW2

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Attachment 4808

I planted 18 tomato plants and we had a bumper crop. This is the bitter end still on the vine. I have boxes and boxes in the garage. I have been cooking and preserving every day for weeks. I also have a ton of bell peppers and sweet onions. I'm on salsa duty for the family reunion this weekend.
    Very impressive harvest!

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    maybe many of us will be as ambitious as you and plant our own victory gardens which helped many people survive during WW2
    I’ve seen a number of people report online that their gardens were a bust this year due to heat or drought.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I’ve seen a number of people report online that their gardens were a bust this year due to heat or drought.
    The strange weather here this year really impacted our gardens' productivity.

I am having more instances than usual of bacterial rot in my Iris beds. I guess the cause is wet, hot, then cold, then wet weather.

This is disappointing since these iris get the best of everything: best site where they get 100% sun. Nearly $1000 of Turface to amend the soil. Endless love and attention and careful hand weeding.

ungrateful brats they are.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-5-22 at 3:26pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am having more instances than usual of bacterial rot in my Iris beds. I guess cause is wet, hot, then cold, then wet weather.

This is disappointing since these Irs get the best of everything: best site where they get 100% sun. Nearly $1000 of Turface to amend the soil. Endless less love and attention and careful hand weeding.

"How sharper than a serpent's tooth..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    While several of our plants did "produce", it wasn't the bounty I was hoping for.... but it was SOMETHING, so I don't want to complain! Still watching the squash plants start to grow bigger, as I think the weather is finally more to their liking. Hopefully we will do as well with them this year as we did last year.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

This lingering awful heat and drought is really making me think about food supplies in the future. We have taken so much for granted that there will always be plenty of what we want at the grocery. The only thing I successfully grew were cherry tomatoes, lemon cukes and way too many yellow egg squash. I wish there was a good way to preserve the squash. One can only eat so many squash casseroles. I read somewhere that tomatos and tomato products will be hard to come by so we have been buying a few xtra cans when we shop. Interesting times ahead.

Spent the afternoon organizing my stock up shop from yesterday. Ended having to put some under my bed. Cupboards are full and warms the cockles of my heart to have this much set aside. Think I’m good on toiletries, but should probably get some winter cold remedies.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am having more instances than usual of bacterial rot in my Iris beds. I guess the cause is wet, hot, then cold, then wet weather.

This is disappointing since these iris get the best of everything: best site where they get 100% sun. Nearlhy $1000 of Turface to amend the soil. Endless love and attention and careful hand weeding.

OK, IL, that was very funny!

Thread Information