Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping...

Tipping...

God, I feel like a total jerk today. I went to the local coffee shop to grab a muffin and the owner was there (who I know and have been to her house, as group of us are working on the abortion issue in New Mexico). She always provides food & drinks (as others do to) for these meetings. Since I am coming straight from work I have yet to be organized enough to have something to bring.

Anyway, I digress. Of course at the coffee shop the tip jar is on the counter, and had she actually made me a coffee drink (providing labor) I would have of course given her a tip, but all she did was hand me a muffin and ring me up. I wanted to get rid of some change in my wallet and still have enough dollar bills left over to donate money to our volunteer fire department people who were doing a "Boot Drive" in the middle of the highway today.

So gave gave her exactly the $3.21 that the muffin cost and did not put my extra quarter and a few pennies in the tip jar simply because I wasn't thinking about it. I also had a $20 bill in my wallet that I didn't want her to have to break for me. As I was leaving I felt like she made some sort of point by dumping the change out of the tip jar to note her displeasure???? Am I reading way too much into this? Now I feel like a jerk somehow, but in reality, why should I tip someone for handing me a muffin? I do have these old cheapskate tendencies I am trying to overcome now that I am more financially stable in my life, and always tip if someone is actually making me a special drink. However, I could have done it to be more neighborly/friendly but honestly I was thinking about getting back to work and not tipping someone for giving me a muffin.

What do you think? Would you have tipped? The next time we have a meeting at her house I am going to make sure I make something to bring, and also buy some beer to restock her party refrigerator.

At age 61, lately I'm finding myself committing weird little "faux-pas" here and there, I think simply because I am in my head so much of the time I'm not always aware of certain little intricate interactions...

I think covid messed up norms, as in when there was only takeout people didn't want the restaurant employees to suffer so they tipped as if for full service, setting off tipflation.

If I am getting food at the counter in a shop, such as coffee or carry out, I do NOT tip. I never have and I doubt I ever will. If I have a sit down meal, I will tip well.

I will throw my change in the tip jar. No big deal you got distracted and didn’t.

Yeah, I don't think you did anything wrong. And maybe she just wanted to dump the jar out to count or to exchange it for bills out of the register. I do what you did... I don't feel obligated to give 20% for people who are just ringing me up. Don't worry about it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't usually tip for counter service unless I feel like I've necessitated some extra effort. Handing me a muffin would not qualify.

I don't tip for counter service, either. Maybe I should. But I doubt I will start.

I was recently in a coffee shop for the first time since the start of Covid. I saw the counter top tip jar and gave it some consideration, but did not leave a tip. The friend I was with did drop something in the tip jar. Unless there is some sort of special service above and beyond I doubt I would leave a countertop tip. I was almost going to order something online form a local business for home delivery. At check out there were boxes to check for tips for the driver. 10%, 15%, or more, and I could not see an easy way to opt out of the driver tip. I canceled the order. I don't know if that is common for home delivery of online orders, but I object to automatically adding tips onto the bill.

Tipping is tricky, more so these days it seems. I work one day a week in a weed shop, just taking ID's at door. Almost ridiculous (not that I am complaining) that I get paid $16/hr for this, but the bud tenders share their tips with me at the end of the day! Since you can only pay for weed in New Mexico using a debit card (besides cash) in $5 increments, the extra change back usually gets dumped into the tip jar at the bud tenders counter. My friend the owner added the "do you want to leave a 10% 15% or 20% tip right on the pin pad and the tips went up astronomically! I know I appreciate that easy option when I go out to eat because I don't have to do the math in my head or on my phone calculator.

The point is, I know I really appreciate getting some walking-around-town tip cash at the end of my really boring work day, but I don't feel like I really deserve it for just taking ID's and being nice and welcoming to people coming into the shop. I'm not doing any of the technical stuff at all, though at this point I could probably recite by rote the pot-smoking spiel about the various strains...

the only tips I ever gave my weed providers were more along the "don't sell to him, he's a narc" type. I do tip a dollar per barista-made drinks. I tip at food trucks. I would tip food delivery drivers if they have to use their own cars - that's a racket!! - but no one delivers here, so it's moot. I would not have tipped for a muffin! I like the ability to tip on a cc, because I seldom carry cash in small bills. Or large ones, for that matter! I do not like the current "tip-flation" - I think owners of businesses should have to pay living wages, and not put the onus of "supporting" wait staff, who are still not guaranteed "normal" minimum wage- on the customer. the federal minimum wage for tipped workers is $2.13. THAT is a disgrace!

Thread Information