Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Queen is dead. God save the King

Her life was remarkable. Think of all the world leaders and famous folk she met. It's amazing. She met all the US presidents during her reign except LBJ. (Wonder if civil unrest & Vietnam precluded any visit) Hard to imagine LBJ visiting with the Queen. But I bet she would have enjoyed Ladybird.

I think her absence will be unsettling for Brits especially at Christmas. The first in 70 years without a message from her. She's been the only queen for the majority for their entire lives. (Of course I do realize many are not monarchy fans.)

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Her life was remarkable. Think of all the world leaders and famous folk she met. It's amazing. She met all the US presidents during her reign except LBJ. (Wonder if civil unrest & Vietnam precluded any visit) Hard to imagine LBJ visiting with the Queen. But I bet she would have enjoyed Ladybird.

I think her absence will be unsettling for Brits especially at Christmas. The first in 70 years without a message from her. She's been the only queen for the majority for their entire lives. (Of course I do realize many are not monarchy fans.)
    According to the dramatized version of her life on The Crown , her sister visited LBJ and Lady Bird Johnson in Texas and was quite a hit with them.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I've been watching the Queen's funeral since 6:30am. I know there aren't that many people here that are interested (where's razz when I need her!). This is so very compelling to me, not just the sheer pageantry, but the idea that it is all for a Queen who has done her job extremely well--however important or unimportant you think that job is. I think about the few British Queens who have ruled (only 6 female sovereigns in British history) and three have them have been exemplary in terms of their view of service and duty: Elizabeth I, Victoria, and Elizabeth II, and they have all done their country extremely proud.
    I went to a garden club meeting today and at least two people said they had been up very early watching the actual funeral. I did not watch it but I watched the processions leading up to it, but I will watch later video of the funeral and interment.

It’s good that she died in Scotland because I don’t think her body would’ve been taken to Scotland otherwise, right? I’ve walked the royal mile a few times between Holyrood and Saint Giles, so I know that area well.

One thing to come out of this is that I haven’t seen the Prince of Wales’ little son, George, in a while. Good Lord, Charles Spencer must wet his pants with joy every time he sees that kid because he looks exactly like the Spencer side of the family.

I have been very interested in everything, but with working, I’m mostly catching things after work on YT. I’ll watch the funeral and the entire procession later.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

It’s good that she died in Scotland because I don’t think her body would’ve been taken to Scotland otherwise, right? I’ve walked the royal mile a few times between Holyrood and Saint Giles, so I know that area well.
    Maybe I misunderstand your comment, IL, but she was actually buried at St. George Chapel at Windsor Castle in England, not Scotland. Her body was taken from Scotland and brought to England after she died. There were two funeral services--one at Westminister and another short one at St. George Chapel, during which the casket was slowly lowered into the burial vault. Very moving.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Maybe I misunderstand your comment, IL, but she was actually buried at St. George Chapel at Windsor Castle in England, not Scotland. Her body was taken from Scotland and brought to England after she died. There were two funeral services--one at Westminister and another short one at St. George Chapel, during which the casket was slowly lowered into the burial vault. Very moving.
    But after she died, they had a long procession from Balmoral to Edinburgh. She spent the night at Holyrood Palace. And the next day she went to Saint Giles to lie in state for a day. The family procession happened in Scotland.
    And then later it happened in London of course.

I watched more of the Scotland footage than anything else so far.

If she had died in London, I doubt the Scottish pageantry would have happened.

This event had my cousin and I talking and he told me that there was a period of almost 2 centuries when a reigning UK monarch did not step foot into Scotland. For god’s sake that’s crazy. George the IV was the one to go to Scotland in 1822, breaking the tradition on monarchs avoiding the place since Charles II was crowned there in 1651.

I still find that hard to believe. I’ve poked around the Internet a little bit but can’t find anything to dispute it.

If I knew where my big British flag was I would’ve flown it but it’s piled up somewhere in boxes since our move.

Got it... I didn't watch TV after her death because I was at a reunion of some old college friends for a few days.

Interesting about the English monarchs never going to Scotland between 1651-1822. I think the relationship between the two countries has always been a bit tenuous, so maybe that had something to do with it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Watched the BBC coverage on YT last night. The Brits definitely have the pageantry thing down!

I loved the masses bagpipes and drums. That was a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Watched the BBC coverage on YT last night. The Brits definitely have the pageantry thing down!
    And then the taxpayers get to spend another $billion on the .coronation of Charles III. The pagentry comes with a cost.

I love that we get to enjoy it all but we don’t have to pay a dime towards it.

Thread Information