Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aging and remaining open-minded

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I agree Tybee. This may be unrelated but…. today’s discussion of the most recent mass shooting killer said they described themselves as nonbinary. Had to read what exactly does this mean?? It seems so unreal to me to think a person does not necessarily associate themselves with either gender. huh? It does not compute to me. One place listed 4 different genders….. It is hard to comprehend.
    When you consider intersex conditions (endocrine or otherwise)--and the influence of persistent environmental factors, it's not surprising we have more variety than the usual binary choices.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5017538/

I have a friend who identifies as "genderqueer," and even after consulting Google, I'm not entirely sure what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    This may be unrelated but…. today’s discussion of the most recent mass shooting killer said they described themselves as nonbinary.
    A great example of a non-binary person is Asia Kate Dillon and the character they played on the episodic series Billions. Their character was so compelling to me and from it, I came to understand that they simply choose to not identify as male or female. Here they are explaining what it means to be non-binary:

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...ry?id=52317585
    Last edited by catherine; 11-26-22 at 9:05am.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    A great example of a non-binary person is Asia Kate Dillon and the character she played on the episodic series Billions. Her character was so compelling to me and from it, I came to understand that they simply choose to not identify as male or female. Here they are explaining what it means to be non-binary:

This explanation gave me a light bulb moment... i.e. "female" is an assigned sex while "non-binary" is a gender identity. These are not mutually exclusive!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    A great example of a non-binary person is Asia Kate Dillon and the character they played on the episodic series Billions. Their character was so compelling to me and from it, I came to understand that they simply choose to not identify as male or female. Here they are explaining what it means to be non-binary:

Fiction can provide good insight into human thoughts, feelings, and emotions. I know that I have developed deeper understanding of some behaviors based on reading about fictional characters.

I do not understand WHY people seem to be so married to ideas of rigid sex roles. Didnt Second Wave feminism free us from those black and white ideas? Why are so many youth seemingly mired in pre-1965 ideas? Get with the program, kids!

To counter the actor from Billions quoted in catherine’s article,, here is actor Hunter Shafer’s words about themselves:

“…And as I’ve learned more about my community and come to understand gender as a spectrum, and the gender binary as something that’s nonexistent and a construct and a product of colonialism, I have sort of let go of the idea that I need to do the one or the other—and just let myself be."

My brother visited us over Thanksgiving and as we always do when we get together, we talked about a person from our tiny home town who showed us, 50 years ago, classic trans identity. Teri Toye was her name, her birth name was the same name she has had throughout her life, handy because it is a forename not tied to one sex.

Teri went on from our tiny town to run with the Andy Warhol/Debbie Harry/Halston/Stephen Sprague New York City crowd. She pioneered trans runway modeling and was famous for her languid, pouty style.

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/teri-toye

Thread Information