Thread: Flower Pounding

Flower Pounding

Yes, it is a thing. I just found out about it recently and had to try it out. Photo of experiment below (or wherever this post decides to place it).

I first prepared some muslin for dyeing by soaking in alum, then overnight in alum/borax and then hanging it outside to dry. You can buy prepared-for-dyeing fabric, but I didn't wish to pay $30/yard for that. You can bypass this step altogether if you don't think you'll be needing to "set" the dye, if you're not planning to wash the finished item.

Next gather some flowers, tape them face down on your fabric and pound away. I used my little ball-peen hammer. I used asters, brown-eyed Susans, coleus leaves, and forget-me-nots.pounding.jpg

I will probably embellish these with some stitchery, make little table linens out of them (for under plants or candles, whatever) or something.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Wow, very pretty! I like the delicacy of it.

Very pretty!

I like the little row of green shapes. I'd go to town with a very fine point permanent marker. Very nice.

That is so cool, Kay! And it probably also allows one to blow off some steam in a harmless way, as when wedging clay - slam - slam - slam!

Very nice! I've never heard of this, but your results are very pretty.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I like the little row of green shapes. I'd go to town with a very fine point permanent marker. Very nice.
    Those were coleus leaves. I was disappointed they weren't brighter. The leaves are vivid green & magenta.

Thread Information