Thread: Vacation Time!

Vacation Time!

On Thursday, me and my guy are traveling back to Michigan for a REAL vacation finally! Since the pandemic we've only done a long weekend here and there, but this time we have 10 days.

We're landing in Detroit, then off to Ann Arbor for two days to see family and friends, then we are borrowing my 90 year old mom's car and I am taking him "Up North." My husband was born in Oklahoma and grew up in southern California so he has no experience of the upper mid-west. He's been to Ann Arbor briefly with me when my daughter passed away, but nowhere else in the state. I haven't been back for almost two years myself, and haven't gone up north in many years; I just didn't have the time during my years at Wholefoods to take a vacation up there because I was always going to New Mexico whenever I had vacation hours saved.

Heading out of Ann Arbor on a Big 10 game day (that ought to be fun...NOT!), then heading up to Elk Lake where we've rented a cabin at a resort that is owned by an old family friend. I am going to take him to Sleeping Bear Dunes, Empire, Leland, Grand Traverse Bay...all the places I've known and loved my whole life. Then we are going to cross the Mackinaw Bridge and stay in St. Ignace for two nights. We might go to Mackinaw Island, or I may take him to Tahquamenon Falls; much of this trip we'll play by ear and just have fun exploring. Then back downstate for two days to visit friends; I am hoping to go sing at the Blues Jam I always used to go to in Ypsilanti.

Then back home to New Mexico!

This trip is being financed by both of us taking our 2021 Tax Refunds and squirreling it away since last March. We booked the flights, the cabin and the AirBnb six months ago and it is all paid off, and we still have plenty of money for food, gas, and other things.

Can you tell I am a little excited?????

Sounds wonderful, SiouzQ! Have a safe and fun trip!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That’s such a beautiful area! Mackinaw island is really something he should see. 4 years ago I took my ex to northern Wisconsin where I spent my summers growing up.

Hope the weather and everything goes as planned!!! Have a wonderful time!

I love Mackinac Island. Have fun!

Sleeping Bear Dunes!!!! Am so jealous. Go to see the farm homesteads at Port Oneida. My husband built the window in one of the barns.

Yeah, sounds good. Your Mom has a 90-year old car? Is it a Model A Ford? But yeah--best bet would be a tent-camping trip to the Upper (Michigan) Peninsula. Be sure and bring plenty o' bear spray and skeeter replellent. Have fun. Yup.

Have a wonderful trip. We loved the falls. And all we saw in Michigan. Enjoy it all!!!!

Thread Information