Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who will take care of you when you are old?

As polar ice recedes, I'm getting worried that there won't be a floe for me when I need one.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    There is a lot of thoughtful responses which hopefully will get us all thinking.
    Next week we have several appointments to discuss cremation services and will prepay for what we want.

Another thing to remember for married people, if one of you dies the other gets the highest of the two social security numbers. That can make a significant change in your income. Your expenses are not going to decrease a lot. Second, Medicare is basically an 80/20 plan. Having to pay 20% of the allowed Medicare cost can really add up. You can get plans to supplement, a very confusing proposition. But, Medicare is not for profit like the big insurers that have massive CEO and executive salaries and huge shiny buildings. They are clear on what they pay for and what they don't. I really wish everyone had access to medicare. Premiums are about $150 per person a month.
    Look to see if there is a cremation society in your state. They are WAY less expensive than other routes. The estate planning attorney that looked over my estate plan said she used them and it was a very positive experience.

I get adverts from the cremation society every month or so. Always wondered how I got on that list.

Actually adults of sound mind are allowed to self neglect. The state will not interfere unless you have cognitive issues. Adults get to make their own decisions. Elder abuse social workers intervene if the senior needs protection. It’s a easier job than child protection because of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Actually adults of sound mind are allowed to self neglect. The state will not interfere unless you have cognitive issues. Adults get to make their own decisions. Elder abuse social workers intervene if the senior needs protection. It’s a easier job than child protection because of these things.
    Yes and no. An adult who self-neglects to the point of physical issues, like malnutrition, can be referred if and when they get into the medical system, such as when EMTs are called. Then social workers intervene, and they don't get to go home. This happened to my parents, so it does happen. Maybe not where you live and practiced, but it did happen to them.

The point I am making is that self-neglect is a form of cognitive distortion, in the eyes of the law.

Tybee, yes you are right and I somehow misinterpreted your other post.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tybee, yes you are right and I somehow misinterpreted your other post.
    It is really such a weird issue because you are right, the law lets you self neglect unless you are deemed incapacitated, but it's the incapacitation that makes you self-neglect, so it's kind of hard to separate the two.

Thread Information