Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 58

Thread: thwarts to intellectual freedom (Biden etc.)

  1. #11
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,930
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I suspect the lighting was deliberately playing up the dark Brandon memes, even though they say it was a lighting error. Anyone making a big deal out of that needs something better to do.
    I don't think it was an error, someone devised it to set a tone. It just didn't work as intended.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,564
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Here on this thread we can note the instances of governmental censorship carried out by President Joe Biden and his minions.

    The egregious error of setting up a Ministry of Truth ( Department of Misinformation) backfired when hilariously, it was found the woman appointed to head it up pushed her own conspiracy theories. What a dunderheaded move. That effort was quickly retracted.


    https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...stry-of-truth/


    Last week we learned that the White House, in trying to establish Facts and Truths, pressed .twitter to cancel Alex Berenson, a journalist who reports on, among other things, Covid news. Many of his reports are not to the liking of The White House.

    Berenson plans to sue the government. I canít see how that will end well for him, but who knows.
    https://www.outkick.com/alex-berenso...er-to-ban-him/

    Probably not well on Twitter (TOS, not free speech), however if they caused actual press to stop carrying him, he might have a case.
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I liked the quote from AOC about being factually correct versus morally right.
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes. To determine The Truth. Not the governmentís job.

    This is exactly why Government censorship is creepy regardless of the party carrying it out.

    Nor is determining morals, IMHO.

  3. #13
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    22,694
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The article you referenced is just an opinion...
    Of course it’s an opinion. I linked an article just to refresh everyone’s memory as to what the Department of Misinfornation was. I could link to a straight news article about the Department of Misinformation but it’s not going tell you if it was a good thing or a bad thing if it is decent journalism, you have to make up your mind on that one. Unless you want to take President Joe Biden‘s view of it.


    I think the government should have a place to check for misinformation. All the stupid conspiracy theories that people are gullible to believe should have a place to be verified. And, no, facebook does not cut it... as someone else mentioned. trump really screwed up this country. Now people are wary to believe anything... as Hitler did to the media in Germany starting in 1934.
    I can see that in your world because you are a black-and-white thinker, there is an easy way to identify something as Truth or Not Truth. Good for you! I think life must be easier in binary land.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,500
    IL ...At least I am a thinker. You say you respect someone's opinion so you don't do the due diligence to check the facts but just take their word for it. You repeatedly say you haven't checked stuff out... but voice an opinion. You take others opinions as facts.

  5. #15
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    22,694
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    IL ...At least I am a thinker. You say you respect someone's opinion so you don't do the due diligence to check the facts but just take their word for it. You repeatedly say you haven't checked stuff out... but voice an opinion. You take others opinions as facts.
    I like hearing smart people expound on one topic and analyze it. That is their opinion And yes, I value that exercise.

  6. #16
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    22,694
    Tulsi Gabbard has left the Democratic Party.

    Too bad, a sane voice that could have tempered some of the problematic issues of her former party. Lack of respect for free speech was one problem she named with the Democratic Party.

  7. #17
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    22,694
    I will expand the scope of this thread to include all instances of thwarting intellectual freedom. While it may be stretching a bit that theme, I will include instances of legacy media failing to deliver responsible reporting of events.

    to that end:

    You all may remember the hot topic story last year where Canadian officials discovered 100+ bodies of Native American children in a mass grave. That was a news story that consumed mainstream media for the required 3 days.

    As it turns out, that was not true. Fake News if you will. And the journalist who diligently pursued the story has been blacklisted and canceled. It is important to note this reporter knows the subject area well, the poor treatment of Native Americans in earlier decades in Canada. He’s knowledgeable and sympathetic to that plight. He says it does not help anyone’s cause to make up stories as this was made up.
    https://quillette.com/2022/07/22/how...marked-graves/

    p.s. The original story of the mass grave was carried in the New York Times. Even if we dump by their point of you, I thought we were supposed to be able to count on them for facts. I guess not.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-14-22 at 1:12pm.

  8. #18
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    22,694
    Central Park Karen…remember her? The woman who called the cops on the guy who asked her to leash her dog in Central Park?

    our friends at CNN/MSNBS/NPR etc. left out MANY points of context which include:

    *dogs ARE allowed off leash in Central Park at certain times of the day (but apparently not in this specific area?)

    * The woman had health problems which made her extra careful about approaching humans in the six week period after Covid hit. Remember that in New York City people were dying all over the place and they were ramping up the fear factor pretty hard there

    * her phone call to policeman sounds increasingly hysterical, labeled “performative” by main stream media. But the inside story is that her phone was breaking up and the police dispatcher could not hear her, which is why she kept shouting louder and louder into her phone

    * the man showed threatening postures toward her and her dog, including him luring her log with a dog biscuit.

    * the man immediately changed his tone of voice to that of scared victim in asking her to stay away from him (yet he is luring her dog toward him, to what end? ) when he began recording

    And the sealer of the deal:

    *the man who was birdwatching and who asked her to leash her dog has had several altercations with dog walkers, including a physical altercation resulting in a police report of assault; a local newspaper reporter talked with several others who experienced his threatening presence in the park in the same circumstances

    The man has since proudly stated he started off the year of racial protests in 2020, his incident and the death of George Floyd were twins.

  9. #19
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    22,694
    Tired of being manipulated yet by mainstream media?

    I know that the few times I delve into one tiny issue being blasted all over Mainstream media, I find reasonable alternative explanations for what was supposed to have happened. I have no time in my life to devote to looking deeply into the thousands of news stories that cross our path, especially the hot topic ones of the day. But my experience in deep dives tell me, it is not always (or even often?) as it appears from mainstream media’s portrayal.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,500
    Sounds to me like you bought into the "fake news" propaganda. As you know, a ploy of Hitler. Sure there are always stories that are exaggerated. In recent memory Brian Williams did such and was canned.

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nbc-new...s-without-pay/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •