Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raised planter box question

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I am hearing winter, and am wondering how cold does it get there?

Wondering if you could get a couple of large enough windows to make a cold frame, or a bunch of old windows and make a small greenhouse surrounding the bed?
    Upper 30's at night regularly, once in a while the low 30's. 50's/60's during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    And never ever get around a female moose with a calf nearby. They are deadly.
    When I was in the Air Force and stationed in Alaska, one of the Security Police members of my flight had his patrol vehicle attacked by a mother moose, she pushed it off the road and turned it over.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Went to Home Depot yesterday and talked with the guy in the lumber section. He recommended using pressure treated lumber for the four corner posts so that they wouldn’t rot from touching the ground and would provide long term resilience for the overall structure. The other parts like the chicken wire covered doors I’m going to build can be replaced from time to time as needed. And the 8’ pressure treated 2x4’s were only $7.25 apiece.

The plan is to attach the posts to the existing box this Wednesday when SO is at bowing night and then do the rest of the framing and attaching of chicken wire the following Wednesday evening. I should be able to start planting by October 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Moose would be impossible.

my friend in New Hampshire told me about someone driving down the highway in a convertible who ran into a moose on the highway and could not avoid that animal. She killed the moose and she came out of it fine. But because moose was so tall, the blood and guts of his undercarriage spilled all over her head and entire interior of her car. It was a yuck fest.

Those guys are TALL!
    Years ago, DH and I were driving over the Green Mountains late at night, headed for our vacation rental house. It was pitch dark. We saw that an oncoming car had stopped and was flashing their headlights at us. So we stopped, wondering what was going on. Then DH looked to his left, out the driver's side window, and all we saw was a pair of legs right next to us. We couldn't even see the moose's torso, I never realized how big they are! The moose eventually slowly walked away and we got on our way, too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So it's taken a couple of months for me to get to this project but I took the week off and spent most of the day on it. The plant cage is now finished except for putting on the chicken wire. Once that's done it would also be easy enough to put transparent plastic over it for the winter to make it into a green house and potentially get a longer growing season with it.

cage.jpg
    cage2.jpg

Nice job, JP.

Very nice, jp! Congrats on getting it done.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

A couple of the turkeys came by to inspect the new veggie cage yesterday. Apparently they approve.

turkey32.jpg

Thread Information