Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raised planter box question

Raised planter box question

Outside our backyard in hoa common area that is open to the wilderness area behind our house we have a raised planter box that was there when we bought this place. I want to plant veggies over winter for spring harvest. The box will need to be enclosed because otherwise the deer and turkeys will eat everything. I was planning to make a cage six feet tall using 1x2’s on the four corners and build simple doors on the front and put chicken wire on the sides and top.

Do I need to make it strong enough to withstand attempts by the deer to break into it? Or will they just gently poke at it and then give up?

I've not had deer break down fencing before, but my fences have fairly stout posts.

6 feet is too short a fence to keep our very small deer out here. Conventional local wisdom specifies 7-8 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I've not had deer break down fencing before, but my fences have fairly stout posts.

6 feet is too short a fence to keep our very small deer out here. Conventional local wisdom specifies 7-8 feet.
    Our deer fence is currently 4 feet high but another 4 feet will be added to it vertically. I hate deer, I wish they were dead.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Our deer fence is currently 4 feet high but another 4 feet will be added to it vertically. I hate deer, I wish they were dead.
    I have plenty of recipes!

I have plenty of recipes!
    Last week I drove by two of them cavorting in plain daylight in front of the post office. I yelled at them and told them to go live someplace else.

I’m planning to cover the top with chicken wire as well.

Iris lilies, my brother has to deal with moose. No fence is really tall enough. Funniest story is the moose that got really stuck between a fence and a garage wall.

I am hearing winter, and am wondering how cold does it get there?

Wondering if you could get a couple of large enough windows to make a cold frame, or a bunch of old windows and make a small greenhouse surrounding the bed?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Iris lilies, my brother has to deal with moose. No fence is really tall enough. Funniest story is the moose that got really stuck between a fence and a garage wall.
    Moose would be impossible.

my friend in New Hampshire told me about someone driving down the highway in a convertible who ran into a moose on the highway and could not avoid that animal. She killed the moose and she came out of it fine. But because moose was so tall, the blood and guts of his undercarriage spilled all over her head and entire interior of her car. It was a yuck fest.

Those guys are TALL!

A friend in Alaska swerved at night to avoid something big and dark. The pickup truck and van behind her hit the moose and were totalled. Quite a few people have been killed when hitting moose since they are so large and tall they can fall into the passenger compartment.

And never ever get around a female moose with a calf nearby. They are deadly.

Thread Information