Thread: Jetson’s anyone?

Jetson’s anyone?

Hailing a taxi to and from the airport soon could include a futuristic option:

An electric air taxi, or electric vertical take-off and landing vehicle, eVTOL. Similar in size to helicopters, eVTOLs have rotors, but they also usually have wings, like airplanes. But they’re much quieter than both since they use large battery packs.

Airlines have taken a keen interest in these flying machines as a method of transporting passengers to and from airports, especially in congested urban areas.

United Airlines is buying 200 of them, per a deal announced this month, from Eve Air Mobility, a start-up from Brazilian aerospace manufacturer Embraer. American Airlines committed to buy 50 eVTOLs in July from Vertical Aerospace.

A one-way trip to the airport will cost about $100-$150, says United.

Official takeoff awaits regulations, but expect interest to keep picking up.

If it’s anything like the crash rate of helicopters, count me out.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If it’s anything like the crash rate of helicopters, count me out.
    Exactly what I was thinking...

Yep.

I thought well that is a potentially green way to fly. And then it's not even being used for flying but for just for things where a bus would work.
    Trees don't grow on money

I would never use it.

Yeah but---If you're a Type-A go-getter, it's better NEVER, than LATE. Yup. . Just ask Carole Lombard & Will Rogers & Coach Rockne. They traveled by air, in the time when it was sketchy, tricky, iffy, and a definite maybe. If you got there, you arrived first. If not, you died trying. But yeah---Jetson cars--- Ha--The whole concept is VERY "journalistic", which is a new lib-term I coined that is an antonym for "realistic". Everything is much easier said, than done. Yup. See--even though roads are considered dangerous---not having roads is even more dangerous! In the case of air travel, during the 1950;s, it became apparent that passenger airliners needed much more guidance from the ground, in order to avoid mid-air collisions between other planes, mountian tops, tall buildings and storm fronts. Yup. But you wouldn't have that with so-called "Jetson Cars". Well, would you? Nope, not feasible. That is why the frequency of crashes of General Aviation aircraft and Helicopters is significantly higher than commercial aircraft. Techbnological advances have done a lot for us, but do we rely on it too much? Maybe. See? Hope that helps you some.

Thread Information