Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Weird, I think we had a theft!

  1. #1
    Senior Member KayLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SW Washington State
    Posts
    2,654

    Weird, I think we had a theft!

    I noticed a few days ago 3 of our old cast iron skillets weren't in the kitchen.DH has been on a smoking-jerky-making kick so I thought he'd taken them outdoors. But then he asked me today if I'd stashed them somewhere while I was baking. Not far-fetched since we store them in the oven when not in use.

    So we stood there and looked at each other a while. Then looked around and they're gone! Nothing else is missing. His and my laptops are right out in the open. No drawers gone through.

    At times when we're home we'll run to the store or someplace and the back door won't be locked. So I am guessing someone looking for metal to steal-sell came on in and took them.

    Cast iron skillets= the next catalytic converters.

  2. #2
    Senior Member littlebittybobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I noticed a few days ago 3 of our old cast iron skillets weren't in the kitchen.DH has been on a smoking-jerky-making kick so I thought he'd taken them outdoors. But then he asked me today if I'd stashed them somewhere while I was baking. Not far-fetched since we store them in the oven when not in use.

    So we stood there and looked at each other a while. Then looked around and they're gone! Nothing else is missing. His and my laptops are right out in the open. No drawers gone through.

    At times when we're home we'll run to the store or someplace and the back door won't be locked. So I am guessing someone looking for metal to steal-sell came on in and took them.

    Cast iron skillets= the next catalytic converters.
    Probably, it is the act of someone known to you, who has an annoying quirk--sticky fingers. But yeah--Seems like property theft crime is running rampant. The participants(thieves) seem to make it a pastime. What is not generally understood is how hurtful that is to the victims of theft. Not just financial, but invasion of their home and taking items that may be more highly valued to the owners, than to whoever ends up with them. I've reached the conclusion that we've been duped into being too "nice" to thieves, on account of the demmacrats like yobamma & the rest of them, who live in nice, safe heavily-guarded enclaves. BOTOH, look at the over reaction to the Jan 6, demo in D.C., and the guy who messed with Pelosis' podium! You didn't see him get probation! Yup. Personally--I would advocate extending so-called "Castle Doctrine" to--if you manage to catch someone on your property, stealing the catalytic convertor off your car or your TV, etc. etc. etc, , you should be allowed to shoot and mortally wound the thief. Yup. As it is, the police are overwhelmed, and they pick the low-hanging fruit, i.e. easy-to-prosecute cases such as traffic offenses, or assaults, shoplifting, etc. that are witnessed. But, it's open season on property owners! Why do you think "security" services and camera systems are big business, these days? If thieves realized the risk of being killed as an interloper, where the property owner & would-be victim was not charged(as low-hanging fruit by police/prosecutors), they might take fewer risks! Especially after they are dead. Problem solved. Hope that helps you some.
    Last edited by littlebittybobby; 9-23-22 at 3:33pm.

  3. #3
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,907
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Probably, it is the act of someone known to you, who has an annoying quirk--sticky fingers. But yeah--Seems like property theft crime is running rampant. The participants(thieves) seem to make it a pastime. What is not generally understood is how hurtful that is to the victims of theft. Not just financial, but invasion of their home and taking items that may be more highly valued to the owners, than to whoever ends up with them. I've reached the conclusion that we've been duped into being too "nice" to thieves, on account of the demmacrats like yobamma & the rest of them, who live in nice, safe heavily-guarded enclaves. Look at the over reaction to the Jan 6, demo in D.C., and the guy who messed with Pelosis' podium! You didn't see him get probation. Yup. Personally--I would advocate extending so-called "Castle Doctrine" to--if you manage to catch someone on your property, stealing the catalytic convertor off your car or your TV, etc. etc. etc, , you should be allowed to shoot and mortally wound the thief. Yup. As it is, the police are overwhelmed, and they pick the low-hanging fruit, i.e. easy-to-prosecute cases such as traffic offenses, or assaults, shoplifting, etc. that are witnessed. But, it's open season on property owners! Why do you think "security" services and camera systems are big business, these days? If thieves realized the risk of being killed as an interloper, where the property owner & would-be victim was not charged(as low-hanging fruit by police/prosecutors), they might take fewer risks! Especially after they are dead. Problem solved. Hope that helps you some.
    Move to.Florida where the stand your ground defense will work. It worked for George Zimmerman and he was stalking a young black man armed with a package of Skittles.

  4. #4
    Senior Member littlebittybobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Move to.Florida where the stand your ground defense will work. It worked for George Zimmerman and he was stalking a young black man armed with a package of Skittles.
    Nooo, I will not move to Fla, the Panhandle State. I have sense enough to recognize that it is the armpit of the USA. But yeah--land mines and other booby-traps should be made available, to keep Those People off your property. Otherwise, they go home missing a leg. "Young Black Man". Are you joking? What if a "young black man" sexually assaulted you? Would you just let it go, as reparations for slavery or some other ditzy idea? Hope that helps you some.

  5. #5
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,358
    Maybe the thief was into simple living and coveted your well-seasoned cast iron?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,578
    Did you maybe cook something in the oven, move the pans somewhere else and just forget? That is something I would probably do. Otherwise, I agree that - if stolen - it was by someone who was familiar. So sorry this happened!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  7. #7
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    22,711
    Totally weird.keep us informed and updated.

    we, too, leave our house unlocked often when weíre not there in Hermann, where we would never ever think doing that in the city. I leave my car in unlocked in Herman all the time. Itís such a luxury. Not so much for locking it, itís that you can leave items in your car in Hermann and no one breaks into it. Except perhaps for cast iron skillets!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,507
    I can't believe anyone in this day and age doesn't lock their doors! I live in a small community and always lock my house and car. Recently the criminals came to this area specifically because people were so naive and lackadasical about locking up. No more.... Kinda when people put their purse in a grocery cart and walk away and wonder why their purse gets stolen!

  9. #9
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    10,806
    Property crimes have skyrocketed where I live over the past year or so.

    Until quite recently here, nobody bothered to lock their cars or homes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,487
    My suburban neighborhood is normally quiet, but it seems like the thing these days are surveillance cameras or the ones on doorbells, which I know little about but are probably cheap and simple to set up. I can't imagine iron skillets being worth much as scrap, but could get a few bucks on eBay.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •