Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We moved from an unmetered city water system to a metered water system. DH
    now yells at me when I use too much water to water plants.

ugh. But 5 hour showers would not be taking place in my hoisehold.

Does anyone remember the young woman here on this forum who dumped her boyfriend for taking too long showers? Ok, that was the tip of the iceberg But it was a reason she gave for severing their relationship. She later moved to a Scandinavian country.
    I don't but good for her. It's still in Vermont law that you can get a divorce if your husband does not provide enough wood for the woodstove. Heat and water are serious survival issues!

Greetings from the Upper Upper Midwest

Everything in the before category is done, hats, mittens, and scarves delivered to Social Worker's office. We now move to the during the trip phase, many of the is calendar based.

Start Knitting socks for holiday gifts in progress
    Drop off box of books for husband's friend's students scheduled for this weekend
    Buy thank you gifts for parents and neighbor for looking out for the condo not yet
    Volunteer project I'm doing for a friend November
    Buy a winter coat done
    No screen day October done

Husband's reunion is this weekend and will transfer the boxes of books to friend's car once he arrives at the hotel Thursday. Planning on working from the hotel Thursday and Friday since he will do boring alumni stuff and my presence is only needed for dinners and Sunday brunch. Planning on shopping for thank you gifts since the college town has a lot of shops with local handmade items. Also bought a winter coat Saturday and it's so warm and comfy, I wore it this morning at 6am and snowing while taking the dog out. Best $70 I ever spent. Saturday was also the no screen day for October. Plan on getting some knitting done over the weekend, almost done with a pair of socks.

Good work, Hana!
    Jeppy: I would not want to pay your water bill!
    It wasn't on my list, but yesterday I did a through cleaning of my Mom's fridge and freezer. So many birthday candles and ice packs! I don't think it benefits anyone to have stuff in their fridges/freezers that is outdated or will never be used, but I think it's really essential for someone with Alzheimer's to have less visual clutter to deal with when looking for something to eat.

I completed the seasonal closet cleanout yesterday. It gets a little bit easier every time, because although we still have too much clothing, we've been steadily moving towards less.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I completed the seasonal closet cleanout yesterday. It gets a little bit easier every time, because although we still have too much clothing, we've been steadily moving towards less.
    As they say, slow and steady wins the race!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Regarding the showers, we have a water reducer (have reduced it below code even) and he does not shower daily. It is not huge bills.

Have a tentative date for my petition to make the Board of Health elective to be heard in committee later this month. Hopefully there are no more hiccups. I am afraid the power hungry people in City government will not support voting rights. We will see. I had a sign saying, "Voting Rights for All" at the initial Council meeting and they banned it.

Stalled on weight loss, but not gaining it back either. But I think eventually I will lose it.

Start on the first birthday celebrations later this week.

Burned my papers.

Got ZERO listings from the Free State Project of New Hampshire open houses. Have tried to go to some on my own but about half the time the realtor doesn't show up because the house has already sold from the time the open house is listed. Happened this past weekend even though I checked right before heading out. No slowdown in the crazy real estate market there yet.

Yppej
    And thank you for all the responses on volunteer firefighters. It's what I thought, but the powers that be where I live now say would be very costly.

Yppej, I am surprised your real estate isn’t slowing down. Ours certainly did.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yppej, I am surprised your real estate isn’t slowing down. Ours certainly did.
    I think our local market has slowed, but that opinion is only mine, formed from watching Realtor.com in my zip codes.

I*AM* glad we sold our house in July. I know we could have got up to $50,000 more, but that would mean installing hardwood floors in places and painting amounting to a couple of weeks work. We would have ended up in a timeline of being about here, when the market dropped.

We didn’t need that stress of additional house maintenance and fix up,having the big project of finishing our Hermann house.

I am sorry that it looks like our close friends who have been living rural but fixing up their city house for sale will probably miss the market height. Their immediate Nextdoor neighbor sold for an astonishingly high price to Californians who just seem to have ginormous monies to throw around.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Good work, Hana!
    Jeppy: I would not want to pay your water bill!
    It wasn't on my list, but yesterday I did a through cleaning of my Mom's fridge and freezer. So many birthday candles and ice packs! I don't think it benefits anyone to have stuff in their fridges/freezers that is outdated or will never be used, but I think it's really essential for someone with Alzheimer's to have less visual clutter to deal with when looking for something to eat.
    jeppy should move to city of St. Louis which has unmetered water in its old houses. We paid a flat fee, a huge perk for gardeners. Although to be honest, I seldom watered my garden.Iris didn’t need it, and lilies wanted it but did not get it and they still did fine.

DH however…watered his veg patches a lot.

This perk was very special consideringwe had multiple tiny old houses with big gardens at one time.

Thread Information