Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper suggestions and recommendations

But the PNW's winters are pretty benign, all things considered.

Like this:

Exactly, Tybee! Old-school "tiny homes" :-)

Because of the cost of housing here, that is a fairly common housing solution.

It doesn't get especially cold here (though we had a week+ of single-digit temps last winter, which nothing here is really prepared for), but we get tons of rain and wind in the winter, and water intrusion/mold growth is a constant battle for everyone, even in fancy-pants homes.

Great pic, Tybee!

Here is picture of my neighbors-to-the-east's Park Model camper. They stay here every summer weekend. They built that pole barn themselves (partners=1 male + 1 badass female). They also built the stone wall. Typical self-reliant locals. They're awesome.

I don't think we could do anything that sophisticated, but I think a basic wooden pitched roof with supports would do.

IMG_4025.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    I live in Florida, so maybe not the best source. The motor home we had did have a winter tank warmer, though. If the camper is to be parked in a permanent site I would explore a skirting enclosure with perhaps some way to heat underneath the unit. Again, FL girl - but I'm envisioning some space heater on low. .

Having guest space separate from the main home is fabulous for both you and your guests, though. You can decide how much privacy to give each other. Win / win.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence for the idea. I do look at it as a win-win, as long as I can figure out how to do it right, given the climate up here! Some of those campers are NICE!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Our camper has what the manufacturer calls an Extreme Weather Package, which means it has extra insulation, heated tanks (fresh water, gray tank and black tank), an enclosed underbelly and PEX plumbing lines (which is supposed to be more resistant to freezing than PVC).

We haven't tested it in extreme cold but I would think that if you found a camper with those features and kept its interior heated to a comfortable level, you shouldn't have a problem with the water lines or sanitary drains freezing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Our camper has what the manufacturer calls an Extreme Weather Package, which means it has extra insulation, heated tanks (fresh water, gray tank and black tank), an enclosed underbelly and PEX plumbing lines (which is supposed to be more resistant to freezing than PVC).

We haven't tested it in extreme cold but I would think that if you found a camper with those features and kept its interior heated to a comfortable level, you shouldn't have a problem with the water lines or sanitary drains freezing.
    Which camper do you have, Alan? I know yours is probably way overkill for me, but was wondering who the manufacturer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I used to lose my plumbing in my garage every few years, and the plumbing in one of my boats, from unexpected extreme cold weather events. (It rarely gets below freezing here even in the winter, so when it does for an extended period of time, bad things happen if you didn't plan ahead.)

I replaced the problematic lines the final time with PEX about 10 years ago, and all those runs have survived several periods of extreme cold that surely would have slain the previous plumbing.

Two Thumbs Up!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Which camper do you have, Alan? I know yours is probably way overkill for me, but was wondering who the manufacturer is.
    It's a Winnebago, Minnie

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

would your neighbors let you put up something this big?

ttps://vermont.craigslist.org/tro/d/east-calais-2007-camper/7538244161.html

It's 2000 dollars.

Thread Information