Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Bonds or TIPS

I Bonds or TIPS

With inflation rising, which is the better investment, I Bonds or TIPS?

My retirement person recommended we invest in I-bonds, she thought we had too much money in non-productive accounts (I agreed). I set up an account at the Treasury Direct website and have been starting small until I am comfortable with how it all operates. I just watched a good YouTube again on the differences between the I-bond and TIPS accounts and still like the I-bonds better for us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIq8XXo4Vfo

I agree with Greg44 that the YouTube video by Jennifer accurately contrasts I Bonds and TIPs.

(I am not impressed by the "legal loophole" of spouses buying I Bonds for each other, as Jennifer describes).

I treat I Bonds as a last ditch reserve. Being in my 70s, either I or my spouse could need a lot of money for Long Term Care. Or a legal judgment could be awarded in excess of our liability insurance coverage. I buy the limit every year, generally in January.

On occasion I am a buyer of short-term TIPs funds, such as VPOIX at Vanguard, but these purchases have resulted in unrealized capital losses. As a discussion point, the losses are slight compared to the losses over the same period in the SP500, VNQ, NASDAQ, or a 60/40 allocated portfolio.

In my experience, each I Bond increases in value every month. There is no income tax payable until the owner cashes in the I Bond. No fuss, no muss.

The term on an I Bond (in effect) is 1-30 years, depending on the owner's option. You choose.

For me I-bonds were the easiest to understand. I've had a couple of tips funds that never did well, although it could tun out differently in a different economy. If I were to buy tips, I'd buy the bonds at a duration I plan to hold to maturity rather than a bond fund. If I were uncertain how how each works and which as the best for my situation, I'd consult a professional adviser.

I bought I bonds the past two years.

I just noticed the fixed rate on I Bonds issued after may 1 is .9% (plus the inflation component). The fixed rate hasn't been much above zero for years.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Have you checked CD rates? At our credit union 9 month and 2 year rates are over 4%.

Just something to think about.

Well, until they deal with the possibility of the Federal government defaulting...

It’ll be interesting to see where the inflation component goes. I bought an i bond last fall but unless inflation goes up again will probably cash it in once the penalty period has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Have you checked CD rates? At our credit union 9 month and 2 year rates are over 4%.

Just something to think about.
    This is a good point. I should dump part of my money into some short term CDs.

Thread Information