Thread: October Frugals

October Frugals

When DH asked what I wanted for dinner tonight, I suggested that we use up some of the frozen homemade chicken or turkey soup. He was a bit scornful of the idea ("how old is that?"), but it was actually really good and freed up some space in the freezer.

Nice! Love it when things work out well on multiple levels.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Went through our TV apps and other subscriptions. Cancelled NYTimes, Ancestry, several TV apps including discovery+ and Disney which we hardly watched.

we can access NYT and Washington Post by daily logging in at the library if we want. Saved over $50 per month.

we already had cancelled cable. If you want to listen to local news radios still work. Another huge savings.

Went to see my mom yesterday at memory care. It is a two hour drive each way and we arrived around 3. Instead of stopping at Firehouse subs, we stopped at the grocery and they had hot turkey pot pies on sale for 5 dollars, so we shared one in the car for supper.

It was really good!

Hanging more loads of laundry (not towels or bedding). Shorter baths. Bringing lunch to work and coffee in the morning (instant coffee). Trying for less food waste.

Still hanging laundry out, so wash day depends on the weather, as usual. At some point, most stuff will have to dry indoors, and some loads will go in the dryer. (Oh, the horror!! :- p ) Our main luxury expense is coffee and food out. And we've cut back, but when we're out, and hungry, we usually succumb. While we always start with coffee from home and some healthier snack-type bars, at some point, we always want more. Oh well, it's a process, right?

Unintended frugal: The heat intake grille on our dryer is kind of fried, with sharp bits of metal sticking out. I noticed this when drying a cat bed that came out of the dryer with big holes on the bottom. I called the repairman and he said it was impossible to get parts anymore for the dryer, but that I could sand down the rough metal bits. So I put on my respirator, safety goggles, and attacked the project with sandpaper and a flashlight. I was successful, at least for the time being, although I think I'll need to keep an eye on this. Our dryer is an Amana with a stainless steel drum, and it is 26 years old, so it has served us very well.

Darn, Rosa, I am so impressed. I had that problem once and bought a new dryer. This never ever occurred to me. Well done.

Thread Information