Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inexpensive phones with good texting capabilities

Same with T mobile and a bunch of others, just considered a prepaid plan.

I realize I’m very late to this conversation but if the main desire is texting then what about getting a Google voice number and then using it to text from a computer. (Assuming they have a computer, of course). They could only do it from home, or anywhere with WiFi if they have a laptop, but it would be free.

I always get the oldest version I can which saves me a ton of money. I keep my phones for a long time so when it's time to get a new one, there might have been 3-4 versions out since mine. Let's say I currently have a 5 and the newest one is an 9 but version 7 is still being sold. I will get the 7 because it's not every expensive since it's an older version but is still an upgrade from what I currently have.

If your friend doesn't need every bell and whistle, look into getting an older model of the phone they are interested in getting.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I realize I’m very late to this conversation but if the main desire is texting then what about getting a Google voice number and then using it to text from a computer. (Assuming they have a computer, of course). They could only do it from home, or anywhere with WiFi if they have a laptop, but it would be free.
    Actually you can do the same with iPhones and IPads/Mac computers. You can flick a setting on iPhones that allows calls/texts to be answered on other Apple devices.

I have a prepaid plan with T-Mobile for 15 flat fee per month. It’s unlimited talk and text with 3gb of data.

Pretty much any Android or Apple phone is going to text MUCH better than a flip phone. I’d just recommend they go with a prepaid plan, specifics depending on their usage and reception of the various carriers in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Actually you can do the same with iPhones and IPads/Mac computers. You can flick a setting on iPhones that allows calls/texts to be answered on other Apple devices.
    True, but if they don't need mobile connection they can do texting from a computer using their already existing home internet connection for free via a google voice account. (or yes, via imessage if they have an ipad or imac) Most people like you and me spend the money to have mobile internet access but a segment of the older population doesn't. My dad, who passed away 8 years ago was perhaps extreme, but he had no desire to have internet access anywhere. I assume there are other people slightly younger than him that don't think they need access other than the hardwired computer sitting in their living room or whatever.

Thread Information