Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive phones with good texting capabilities

We also use tracfone. We buy a year's package for about $150. We never use up the text, data or talk. Now, we do have two phones so that would be $300 a year. Not bad for communication. Our phones are "smart" and were about $50? Maybe? We get service nearly everywhere and our house is in a DEAD zone for many cell phone users. I have to tell them when we buy a new phone that our zip code tower doesn't work and they have to use another one.

We use tracfones and love them. Great coverage.

Nokia has a flip phone that wasn't in this country when I looked (now it might be, Nokia 2760 4G), Alcatel was the flip that I bought before my boss died (flip phone, pain to text, can receive texts), and looking on Ebay, there is also a phone called Plum.

For a basic phone with texting capabilities they really need to bring back one with the hidden keyboard.
    Receiving texts, via prepaid was expensive (my plan, something like 25 cents each text). My dad's prepaid, used up all his time with group texts when mom was in the hospital.

We are very happy with our Tracfones, but they are Samsung phones, and that sounds like something you are trying to avoid. We pay about $32 per month for our two phones for talk, text and data. I believe I ran out of data once and had to add an extra $10., but that was the only time in several years (maybe 6 years?)

Thank you, everyone! My neighbors do have tracfones, but want to move to a plan. They realize they have to buy a new phone to do that. I think they are already checking out Jane's suggestion--Consumer Cellular under AARP. The next step will be zeroing in on the phone itself.

All this info is super helpful.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I used to use a tracfone and really liked it. The problem - an reason we switched - was because group texting always cost data, not texts. Even with a wi-fi connection, tracfone would make me turn on data to participate in a group text. With all my siblings, that is the main communication and it was frustrating anoften times very costly.

Dh and I now use Google Fi. We have the basic two phone plan and so far we've never paid more than $45 a month. Data is extra, but we rarely use it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I used to use a tracfone and really liked it. The problem - an reason we switched - was because group texting always cost data, not texts. Even with a wi-fi connection, tracfone would make me turn on data to participate in a group text. With all my siblings, that is the main communication and it was frustrating anoften times very costly.

Dh and I now use Google Fi. We have the basic two phone plan and so far we've never paid more than $45 a month. Data is extra, but we rarely use it.
    Thanks, happystuff. I've never heard of Google Fi.

Also, I did look at Jitterbug options. It is a little patronizing for some elderly people, but I'm sure it's the perfect solution for many.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We just changed to t-mobile senior plan. $35/mo for each phone with unlimited everything. We talked this week to our friends in Canada.... no cost. The coverage will work in TX as well. Free Netflix, AAA and other stuff the first year. Every Tuesday they have freebies. So far, it has worked very well. Got rid of tracfone because it would not work in all areas. I couldn't even call home from 15 miles away. YLMV

ETA.. Customer services locations all over the US and they sell phones too (but not necessary to buy from them).

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post

Edited to add: That's less than $45/month for BOTH phones - not $45 each phone. (Just in case that wasn't clear)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Catherine: One can have a monthly smartphone plan with Tracfone; that is what we have, and no contract is required.

Thread Information