Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Columbus Day

Happy Columbus Day

Celebrate or grieve as you see fit.

I plan to wait until it warms up to 60 degrees, then plant about 40 cloves of garlic - Zema variety.

As soon as I arrived in the Indies, in the first island which I found, I took some of the natives by force, in order that they might learn and might give me information of whatsoever there is in these parts. And so it was that they soon understood us, and we them, either by speech or by signs, and they have been very serviceable.
    -- Christopher Columbus

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I plan to wait until it warms up to 60 degrees, then plant about 40 cloves of garlic - Zema variety.

As soon as I arrived in the Indies, in the first island which I found, I took some of the natives by force, in order that they might learn and might give me information of whatsoever there is in these parts. And so it was that they soon understood us, and we them, either by speech or by signs, and they have been very serviceable.
    -- Christopher Columbus
    It is already 61° down here in the tropics of the lower Midwest, dado.

weeks ago we went to a “garlic festival” and bought many varieties of garlic but I ended up just cooking with them and didn’t plant any. I love garlic, but honestly I didn’t tell a difference between the five different varieties we purchased.

The only thing I’ve learned about garlic is is that elephant garlic is too mild so don’t mess with it.

Planting garlic today as well.

Here in SW WA we celebrate Columbus Day by reminiscing the Columbus Day Storm of 1962. I remember it like it was yesterday even though I was only 8 years old.
    https://history.columbian.com/columbus-day-storm-3/
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

So new employee moved from Illinois. She was very surprised we have school on Columbus day. I remember a few years ago, backlash about it and trying to change it to Native American day. I expect that is why we have school on this day.

What about in your area, schools in session or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So new employee moved from Illinois. She was very surprised we have school on Columbus day. I remember a few years ago, backlash about it and trying to change it to Native American day. I expect that is why we have school on this day.

What about in your area, schools in session or not?
    I looked up the calendars in my old school district in NJ (where my grandkids are going to school) and also my current one:

In NJ, the township has two days off: October 5 for Yom Kippur and October 24 for Diwali. They do have school today.

In my county in VT, they do have today off, but they call it "Fall Break".
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

In the garlic planting vein, the temp was 61F when I started and 63F when I finished.

The soil contained a good deal of organic matter, because I use pine needle mulch on my garlic beds. Lots of lethargic earthworms in evidence today!

This year I tried something different: a teaspoon of bone meal mixed into the soil 1.5 to 2 inches beneath the bottom of each garlic clove.

The Zema cloves I planted today were harvested by me in August from last year's crop. I saved the largest bulbs for planting. I hope that the median size of the largest bulbs in this year's crop will be bigger as a result of phosphorus in the bone meal.

I also have an order of about 14 cloves of Purple Glazer variety, which has been shipped. "Please, Mister Postman!". They will go into a raised bed.
    Last edited by dado potato; 10-10-22 at 10:35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I looked up the calendars in my old school district in NJ (where my grandkids are going to school) and also my current one:

In NJ, the township has two days off: October 5 for Yom Kippur and October 24 for Diwali. They do have school today.

In my county in VT, they do have today off, but they call it "Fall Break".
    Our local school district combined a couple of teacher "In-Service" days with the traditional Columbus Day date and calls it "Fall Break" as well. Kids got a 5 day weekend out of it and teachers enjoy a 3 day weekend.

I sometimes wonder when all world history will be unceremoniously replaced with feel good holidays based upon nothing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

No school today for the kids, but teachers had in-service and custodians had to work. I did get to go in early and, hence, home early.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information