Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Happy Columbus Day

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Because, as we all know, the noble savage lived in teepees....
    I have been there. I suppose I meant teepee in a more general sense to represent wikiups, great houses, cliff dwellings, igloos, wigwams, long houses, etc.

Indeed there were diverse cultural practices and we tend to generalize things. Like the romantic misconception of the pure noble savage living peacefully with nature, much different from us Europeans. For example, there is evidence that some elements of the Ancestral Puebloans practiced cannibalism, but perhaps more commonly known for deforesting their ecosystem. And may have moved into cliff dwellings to escape other tribes who were trying to kill them or steal crops or maybe take slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I made eggplant parmesan if that counts as celebrating. With all of the politically correct renaming around I'm surprised Columbus Day has escaped, so far.
    A "journalist" called Childrens Protective Services on a Republican State Senate Candidate for celebrating Columbus Day with her daughter. Journalist Calls Child Protective Services On Senate Candidate And Single Mom Over Columbus Day Tweet | The Daily Wire
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    A "journalist" called Childrens Protective Services on a Republican State Senate Candidate for celebrating Columbus Day with her daughter. Journalist Calls Child Protective Services On Senate Candidate And Single Mom Over Columbus Day Tweet | The Daily Wire
    That's just full of....wow. There should be consequences for this sort of nonsense.

I posted "Happy Indigenous People's Day" on Facebook, and I think I *may* have been "unfriended" by a person of Italian-American heritage taking it as a slam on Columbus and posting back that Columbus Day is really to celebrate all of America.

My home town has a relatively large population of people of Italian heritage and every year there's a bit of a kerfuffle over it all. We owe something to our Italian ancestors, too. In the big scheme of the world's problems it doesn't seem like it should be much of a big deal.

I am partially of Italian-American Heritage, and the idea of Indigenous People's Day doesn't bother me in the least.

Okay---I'm celebrating Columbus Day, just like any other Holiday. See---Columbus Discovered America, after Leif Eriksen, that we know. So--it should be amended to: "Eriksen-Columbus Day" Yup. There was nothing but undeveloped land & hunter-gatherer savages here, at the time. The stone-age primitives of Northeast Asian descent--mistakenly referred to as indians-- did not have horses, a written language, & they did not make use of the wheel, guns or firewater. Nope. They were about like our Homeless People, living in tents made of wildlife skins. See?. It was in 1492, of course, which was also the year Queen Isabella kicked anyone who did not want to be Cathlic out of Spain. Yup. So yeah---you kids can see I got a pretty good grasp o' history, even if I don't have a masters' degree in feminist studies or something. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.
    Last edited by littlebittybobby; 10-23-22 at 1:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I am partially of Italian-American Heritage, and the idea of Indigenous People's Day doesn't bother me in the least.
    Yes, I agree---we need an "Illiterate Stone Age Hunter-Gatherer Day"(which sounds more inclusive), so gummint employees can have another paid holiday. Yup.

Thread Information