Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worker Comfort

Worker Comfort

After this crazy-ish year of first being unemployed, then picking up odd jobs here and there in town, I've been working two days a week as a gallery sitter/salesperson at a very nice high-end gallery in town. I really like my bosses (the owners of the gallery) and they've allowed me to put my jewelry in the gallery and it is selling really well.

The gallery has a very specific aesthetic; very clean, modern, with lots of wood and natural materials. It truly is really a beautiful space to work in.

Here's the problem: the chair I have to sit on behind the little desk is KILLING me! It is a straight-back wooden chair that doesn't even have a contoured seat. I bought a pillow at Savers to try to cushion my poor butt but it doesn't really do much. Lately it is becoming unbearable. I have back problems anyway, plus cervical radiculopathy which is really acting up. I finally asked the owner of the gallery today if she would consider getting an actual padded office chair because having to sit on a wooden chair for 7 hours a day had me almost in tears the other day. I do get up and walk around a lot, but it is a long day in which I pass the time by knitting fingerless gloves.

Anyway, her reaction to my request really dismayed me today. She hates the "look" of office chairs and does not want to change chairs. The only thing she would consider was some sort of ergonomic cushion that I could put on the chair the days that I work. I feel like her quest for a certain aesthetic trumps my body comfort. I just recently added a third day per week (which to be honest, is pretty tortuous, especially when I didn't even have any sales today). I'm questioning the wisdom of working three days a week there. It's too hard on my body just sitting around all day.

I will look around and see if there is something I can buy to put on the chair that would make it more comfortable for me, but I also realized just because I committed to a third day, doesn't mean that I have to actually stick to it. Finally at age 61 I am finally learning to speak up for myself if something isn't working for me. I will give it a couple of weeks, at any rate.
    Last edited by SiouzQ.; 10-13-22 at 10:11pm.

Good for you for speaking up for yourself!

I somehow wound up with a chair that my SIL had picked up as a picker. I think he brought it up for his/DD's wedding and it never made it back to his home. I replaced my old metal desk chair, which was horribly uncomfortable, with his chair. I still have it and I still use it. Is there a way you could compromise with your employer and find a cool chair that's also reasonably comfortable?

Here's a link to a similar chair. Mine doesn't have a leather cushion, but it does have a cushion.

https://www.wayfair.com/Bayou-Breeze...xoC9tcQAvD_BwE
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Have her spring for this one: https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/se...id-f_30666252/

Or this one:
    https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/se...id-f_29353742/

Those are a little pricey, but they show good-looking office chairs do exist.

How about this one? https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...ID=CJ100096674

Your boss seems to lack compassion and imagination.

$170 at Wayfair: 170 at wayfair.jpg

High end gallery?

Have her look at something like Sam Maloof style chairs.

Money is a bit tight, so I don't think she'll spring for anything very expensive. I was going to offer to buy a different chair for myself at the Restore in Santa Fe. They always have office chairs there for a good price but she can't stand the look of them...If I'm sitting in it, who is going to see it anyway? It just feels weird that she values "the look" rather than keeping a dedicated employee comfortable. I'm at a place in my life that I can decide whether to stay or not; my husband is starting a new job on Monday that has a six-figure salary, so my paltry retail salary doesn't make or break the bank. I've sure come a long way in the last few years, but I like and need to have my own money coming in.

Seems to me there are plenty of amazing chairs that would fit the style you describe.

Since ithis is a part-time gig, you probably will need to remedy the situation yourself. I highly doubt the employers are going to spring for an expensive chair. Perhaps one of these would be helpful?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=seat+cush...l_4upnc0a2by_e

If you do leave, please let her know exactly why. I do not expect her to change however.

It is a pet peeve of mine that cashiers, who are overwhelmingly women, have to stand in stores. No chairs or stools for them. Europeans are more progressive.

Thread Information