Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work asking for ideas to be more “green”

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Work asking for ideas to be more “green”

My company owners have asked for ideas to be more green. There will be some sort of prize - I think an extra day off.

Working from home and company paying for public transit passes are not an option (no public transit by the office).

My first thought is going paperless, but as we have records on customs clearances and related that have to be kept for 5 years, we would have to apply for permission from Customs to keep records entirely electronically. We would need backup servers and such. Just getting the approval from CBP takes months. I am using a free PDF tool online to combine files when they have to be uploaded to Customs system instead of just printing everything out. Takes extra time, but I’m getting faster at it. I print out the bare minimum. Getting coworkers to print out the bare minimum is a challenge.

No single use plastic in break room. We have a dishwasher so that’s easy enough.

Any other ideas?

How about if the company buys recycled paper to print from?

Motion sensors to turn on lights

"Green" breaks to encourage employees to go for walks outdoors

Work hours that track with the sunrise and sunset (I know that's out of the box and not practical, but it's still an idea)

Put sustainability tips on the company intranet or website log-in screen.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Have only one child.

The rest is sort of feel-goodism.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Have only one child.

I had none!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Have only one child.

Why do you get even one in this state of climate emergency? That suggestion will not go over well at her place of work.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Why do you get even one in this state of climate emergency? That suggestion will not go over well at her place of work.
    Tell the unwashed and uneducated masses to only have one. The apparently best way to reduce the number of births is to make sure women are educated.

I'm not sure where you live Tradd and some weather is more severe than other locations. Some ideas inspired by this time of year and the coming winter:

How about temperature? A lower temperature in the winter and/or keep it a little warmer in summer could save some energy. I remember a poster here that turned down the heat so the entire office wasn't drawing so much heat and used a space heater where it was required.

If you have severe cold and use block heaters on your cars at work, perhaps timers so they don't pull power all day.

One office I worked with kept the photocopier on 24 hours because it took too long to "warm up" in the morning. A timer would have helped that. Are there other items that timers could work to save energy?

Quote Originally Posted by thinkgreen View Post
    I'm not sure where you live Tradd and some weather is more severe than other locations. Some ideas inspired by this time of year and the coming winter:

How about temperature? A lower temperature in the winter and/or keep it a little warmer in summer could save some energy. I remember a poster here that turned down the heat so the entire office wasn't drawing so much heat and used a space heater where it was required.

If you have severe cold and use block heaters on your cars at work, perhaps timers so they don't pull power all day.

One office I worked in kept the photocopier on 24 hours because it took too long to "warm up" in the morning. A timer would have helped that. Are there other items that timers could work to save energy?
    Northern IL. My coworkers bellyache about the cold. I can’t take heat. Always seems too damn warm in the office to me. No block heaters needed here b

Priority parking for car poolers. Charging stations for e-vehicles. Roof-top solar or rooftop gardens. Employee vegetable gardens. Zero landfill and net zero CO2 emissions goals. Rewards incentives for green ideas that get used. Low flow water fixtures.

If your place of work doesn’t provide coffee for employees, I think a case could be made that it saves resources in the long run for everyone to have coffee on site rather than stop for commercial coffee in the morning before arriving at work. I’m not sure it’s a good case, but if you think about all the gas used to start and stop for that coffee trip. And then if employees dirt out of the building during the day to get coffee and it’s always delivered in a paper cup and that creates waste.

At work you can keep coffee mugs that are easy to wash. Or, as in my case, I had my own mug at my desk and I seldom washed it and I lived to tell that tale.

Mainly, I just like my workplace to provide coffee for me so all I have to do is stumble down the hall to get it. So I would make any argument in the world to see if I could get that if I didn’t have it.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-25-22 at 10:17am.

Thread Information