Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Latest Mom Adventures

I have heard of the fake pets and glad it’s helping your mom.

Thankfully, Mom doesn't seem inclined to feed him. I never even thought about that!

I wouldn’t have thought of that either.

So in our latest adventure:
    Apparently "the person in the mirror" is a common thing with dementia. They don't recognize the person as themselves and often become upset and angry at this uninvited intruder. Luckily, Mom's lady in the mirror is very nice, and amazing coincidence, she even has some of the very same outfits that my mother has!
    Our problem is more when Mom knows it is her own image in the mirror, which is most of the time. She'll point at her reflection and say, "That's me? That's me? Oh my god, I am so ugly and old!" She really kind of obsesses about how ugly she looks, which is so sad to witness.
    Anyhow, I had a bright idea and it was a big success! I ordered these static decals on Amazon, and Mom is absolutely enchanted with her new garden. I'm going to order some more to do the rest of the mirrors in her house. The picture doesn't even do them justice; they are vibrant and beautiful - and irises are her favorite flower!

moms mirror.jpg

On another note, she is indeed feeding her dog cookies and chocolates on occasion. Apparently he specifically asks for macaroons, lol. Luckily the mouth and tongue are hard plastic and easy to clean, and Dawn dishwashing liquid gets the chocolate out of the fur very easily. I think the manufacturer should make a model that you can feed some type of plastic treats, since this feeding behavior is a common problem. Of course my Italian mother doesn't want to let her beloved dog go hungry!

What a cool idea about the flowers on the mirror!
    My mom did not recognize photos of herself from when she was young, and said, "Who is that woman? I don't like her, she looks shifty."
    Dementia can be funny and horrifying all the same time.

I wonder if there is a brain function that recognizes ourself, and has to keep shifting as we age and change, and for a dementia patient, they can't shift anymore.

What a fantastic idea, rosa!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The mirror idea is nice, rosa.It’s very pretty. I can see where she would like that.
    I am not a serious person.

Love the mirror idea.

Thread Information