Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Halloween, humbug?

When I lived in a house I loved to decorate and all the dogs had Halloween costumes. They wore the same ones every year. Back then I had 4 little dogs and would borrow my son’s 2 big dogs and had costumes for them. Then I would put up a baby gate so the kids could enjoy the dogs without them escaping. The kids really enjoyed it.

Like Tradd, I also saw stuff on the news/FB that showed those expensive skeletons that people were buying. From my old person perspective, what I used to love/hate about Halloween was the DIY stuff. I made all my kids' costumes from the time they were born until they were into their 20s. Now, people just get costumes for their kids on Amazon.

We are in such a remote area, we just don't get trick-or-treaters. The local school hosts Trunk-or-Treat. We try to connect with the grandkids and what they're doing, but it's not a holiday that we spend a lot of time on for sure.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I wonder how much these giant skeletons cost and where does one store such a thing.
    the closet

one jams it in the closet and hopes noone finds out. "What? I don't know what you are talking about, I don't have any skeletons in my closet"
    Trees don't grow on money

I thought that was why people were seen digging 6' holes in their yards.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    the closet

one jams it in the closet and hopes noone finds out. "What? I don't know what you are talking about, I don't have any skeletons in my closet"
    Hahaha. My friends have several skeletons; I have no idea where they store them.

This is an article on Portland neighborhoods--most of which have housed various members of my friends and family. I grew up in Irvington.

https://www.pdxmonthly.com/travel-an...-neighborhoods

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Hahaha. My friends have several skeletons; I have no idea where they store them.

This is an article on Portland neighborhoods--most of which have housed various members of my friends and family. I grew up in Irvington.

Those actually look like very nice places to live. I'm not sure about skeletons, but when the moon is full I have had glimpses of a monster that lives in my closet.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

I like the witches in Mount Tabor.

Big yard blowups were technically not allowed in our neighborhood because our historic code forbade yard sculptures.

Few knew that of course because no one bothers to read the historic code which is a city ordinance. But generally, most people stay away from those dumb blowups because they’re tacky.

My favorite Halloween decor of recent years in my old neighborhood was a long black mourning ribbon on the front door of a Victorian house. Also they had a scary figure who looked like death peeking out from an upstairs window. If you didn’t know about the Victorian tradition of mourning ribbons on your front door, you wouldn’t know what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I like the witches in Mount Tabor.

Big yard blowups were technically not allowed in our neighborhood because our historic code forbade yard sculptures.

Few knew that of course because no one bothers to read the historic code which is a city ordinance. But generally, most people stay away from those dumb blowups because they’re tacky.

My favorite Halloween decor of recent years in my old neighborhood was a long black mourning ribbon on the front door of a Victorian house. Also they had a scary figure who looked like death peeking out from an upstairs window. If you didn’t know about the Victorian tradition of mourning ribbons on your front door, you wouldn’t know what it was.
    The Mt.Tabor neighborhood surrounds an inactive volcano. My aunt and uncle lived there in a lovely old quasi-Victorian with a carriage house for awhile.

We have this guy.
    https://www.kptv.com/2022/10/15/vancouver-home-providing-halloween-thrills-37-years/

Twice a week I do a bus nanny job for a friend, making sure her little one gets fed, dressed and on the school bus. Their yard is super-tacky with every conceivable blow-up and plastic tombstone. Their interior is replete with every fall Hobby Lobby decor item (think those calligraphed message signs, ugh). It is just.....tacky. Same thing for Christmas. And Easter.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information