Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any winter changes?

I have my electric bill on average pay, but it still went up $20 last month. Gas is average pay also and it continues to climb.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

My gas went from $0.68/therm last November to $1.24/therm for my October bill. Wonder how much it will go up this winter.

Just got an oil fill today and the price was the price-cap in the program I recently signed up with the oil company. It was *just* under $1000! Makes me wonder what the price would have been without the cap.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

So my plan to not run the heat in the morning came to an end last week when it got down to 37 one night. But I’ve modified the plan from the last two winters. Instead of two hours of heat at 68 in the morning it’s one hour of heat at 65. SO just gets ready and goes to work now instead of watching good morning America for an hour before leaving. So he seems ok with this and it will hopefully chop 25% off our heating bill.

We put the heat on 57 at night and 63 during the day in winter. This is a ridiculously cold week with no day over 32 and nights at 15 or below so we may raise the temp a bit. I am wearing three layers on all my appendages Wondering what to leave the heater set at when we leave in a week.

I had to turn the heat on today. Snow tomorrow. 59 inside when I woke up this morning. 26 outside.

Oh, Happystuff, sorry to hear about the 1000 oil bill. We have not been running our heater because we have oil to and don't want to run down the tank. Finally turned it on this morning because it is supposed to get down to 14 by 7 am, although it's 25 now. Sometimes it drops in the morning, weirdly enough.

Woodstove gets installed in December.

Guess I am not going to be frugal. I hate being cold! Today in TX it is in the 50s and if it gets cold in the house, the heat will go on. I save on many things but being comfortable is more important this stage of my life. We routinely had the heat down in years past but as I get older … it isn’t worth it to me.

In the house we had electric heat and each room had its own baseboard heat. The first January in 2012 our bill was 400 with the heat at 68. Then we would turn it off in every room when going to bed except our bedroom. Then our bill was 200. Mornings were awful until it warmed up. Now in my condo I keep it at 72 during the day and 74 by 6pm when I start to get cold. For some reason at night I have winter pjs, a blanket and the heat that high.

My heat is now set at 61. 72 I would freaking roast. I still have my fan going at work to the amusement of coworkers.

Thread Information