Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any winter changes?

We have a woodstove and love to heat almost exclusively from that. We are on forested property, so we haven't had to buy wood very often.

Thrilled to say we are now in Texas for the winter! The change in temp is wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Thrilled to say we are now in Texas for the winter! The change in temp is wonderful!
    We're going to do the same thing this winter, leaving in a few weeks to meander along the gulf coast, eventually arriving in Corpus Christi for Christmas and New Years before then meandering back towards home, returning in February.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It IS pretty there Alan. That was originally the reason we came to Texas. I planned a birding trip around a book that showed 70 different birding areas within a 2 hour radius of Corpus Christi. Then planned a trip to the Rio Grande Valley where the weather is even nicer IMO. I hope you have a wonderful time!

I’ve discovered that SO is more annoyed if it’s cold inside when he gets home from work than he is in the morning. I will be running the heat shortly before he gets home and not in the morning for as long as possible. That will cut our heating costs roughly in half for as long as he goes along with this plan.

Our wood was $240 per cord, and our guy delivers and stacks it as well. It's the deadfall and slightly burnt trees from all the forest fires in the Jemez Mountains. I'm a little annoyed this year because our guy forgot to ask what size logs we wanted and we forgot to tell him, so he gave us 16 inchers instead of our usual 12 inches. We were at work when he delivered and stacked it. Some of the logs are not fitting into our stove, so we will end up setting those aside in a different pile to be sawed in half.

We only heat with wood, and supplement with a space heater in the bathroom and by my husband's desk. We have these silly electric baseboard heaters that were installed in order to sell the house to us but we never use them as they are completely inefficient. I never even turned on the heat in the bedroom last year; the adobe walls retain a lot of the day's heat and I am cuddled under two comforters (one is down) so I am totally toasty at night! I even crack the window a half inch because I hate it being stuffy.

In the future I'd really like to get a mini-split installed in the living room though...

Just heard on the radio news that my suburban Chicago gas company bills will increase by about $35/month this winter. $60/month for the gas company that serves Chicago.

I've deployed my "Comfy," dug out my xl heating pad, and ordered a pair of fingerless gloves.

My monthly bill (averaged over 12 months) for natural gas and electricity increased by 6.9% effective November 2022.

I reset the thermostat for the radiant electric heat in the tile floor of the sunporch from 75 to 70. The thermostat for the whole house is programmed to drop 5 degrees while people are snug in their beds (11PM to 7AM).

(I like to believe "sleep hygiene" improves in a cool dark room with warm, cozy bedcovers. Personal favorite is goose down. An electric blanket is OK.)

We just got the electricity bill for my condo covering a complete month where someone was living there every day, using tv, etc. normally. With him there it cost $30. Normally, with me being there 4-5 days a month, the bill is a hair under $20.

So, he hardly made impact. He offered to pay the electric bill, but I declined.

My condo building’s heat is covered by condo fee.

Thread Information