Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumping the brakes

When ever the seasons change I tend to go overboard with past season sales. Right now there are cycling gear and clothing sales. I picked up a pair of high end shoes for about half price. My current shoes have some life left in them, but they will wear out some day. I've seen good deals of hiking shoes and boots and camping gear, but am well stocked. I imagine similar deals on summer clothing

I guess we all have our gazingus-pins.
    Klunick: It seems like you are minimalist in most other aspects. Do you love holidays in other respects, or just the decorating?
    IL: what kind of succulent pots are you buying? As you know, I now have a greater interest in all things pottery. I bought cool mushrooms from this woman on Etsy that are clearly handcrafted by her. I see that she has cute little dishes, but I don't see anything that really looks like a succulent pot. https://www.etsy.com/shop/AnnesArtSh...6&page=2#items

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Klunick: It seems like you are minimalist in most other aspects. Do you love holidays in other respects, or just the decorating?
    IL: what kind of succulent pots are you buying? As you know, I now have a greater interest in all things pottery. I bought cool mushrooms from this woman on Etsy that are clearly handcrafted by her. I see that she has cute little dishes, but I don't see anything that really looks like a succulent pot. https://www.etsy.com/shop/AnnesArtSh...6&page=2#items
    Long story short... For years (maybe 15), I hated the way my house looked. I was embarrassed to the point where my boys were only allowed to have friends over if they stayed outside. My furniture was old and falling apart. It was my husband's when he was in college so probably 25 years old. Got so bad that I refused to clean. My house was picked up but carpets didn't get vacuumed, nothing got dusted, bathtubs wouldn't be washed, sheets wouldn't be changed, etc.

That all changed when we did a whole house remodel. Basically new everything from flooring to furniture to paint. Now I love my house and it is clean and spotless... always! If I am around, a dish in the sink literally only stays there a couple of minutes before being put in the dishwasher. That is also when my love of decorating started. First it was just the major holidays like Halloween and Christmas. I had some Fall decor that I would put out too. Basically from Sept-Dec, my house was decorated. Now I decorate all year long. Every season and every holiday but it's still pretty minimalist. You wouldn't walk into my house and be bombarded with seasonal decor. And I only decorate my kitchen and living room.

So, yes I love holidays but the decorating more. Most holidays aren't really celebrated by us. My boys are 18 and 21 so a lot of things that I did when they were younger aren't being done now. Christmas will always be my favorite holiday but more for the spirit that is around. People are nicer, neighborhoods are decorated with lights, things just seem happier, etc. I think once my boys are married with kids, more of our traditions surrounding the holidays will return and I want my grandchildren to be excited to visit my house knowing it will be decorated with all the seasonal decor all year long.

Klunick, thanks for sharing that story. I can relate. I had a similar experience of only accepting hand-me-down crappy furniture and no money to upgrade leading d chronic dissatisfaction with the state of the house, which becomes a slippery slope towards neglect in all areas. It's the domestic version of the broken window syndrome in urban areas.

Your post reminded me of one of my old blog posts about the effect that stripping and refinishing my floors had on my overall attitude towards my home:

It was actually a 3 part series:

https://silententry.wordpress.com/20...l-home-part-i/

https://silententry.wordpress.com/20...-of-your-life/

https://silententry.wordpress.com/20...me-and-a-life/

Let me know if any of that resonates with you.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Klunick, thanks for sharing that story. I can relate. I had a similar experience of only accepting hand-me-down crappy furniture and no money to upgrade leading d chronic dissatisfaction with the state of the house, which becomes a slippery slope towards neglect in all areas. It's the domestic version of the broken window syndrome in urban areas.

Your post reminded me of one of my old blog posts about the effect that stripping and refinishing my floors had on my overall attitude towards my home:

Oh, most definitely. All resonated with me. We were very intentional in what we put into our newly renovated spaces. Hours upon hours scouring website looking for the type of stuff we wanted. We were going for a "rustic cabin " feel. Lots of wood and earth tones.

Also the part about the cleaning where it went from a neccessary evil (which I chose to ignore) to now being an enjoyable task. Ok, maybe not enjoyable but it's something that I know has to be done and it's not the worst thing in the world. Funny because even the times where I tell myself I am just going to do a quick clean it usually turns into a more thorough clean than if I had done my regular clean.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I can’t get url linking to work for Etsy, but here are a few on my favorites list. I bought the first one and love her work.

I can’t even get photos to load this morning so this is all I can do after spending 15 minutes.

I like all the little mushroom items but they’re not very practical for anything that I can use them for. I don’t buy spoon rests. I’m buying, at the moment, small planters that hold small plants or small floral arrangements.

46F1C861-821C-47F1-907B-3988AF2C21C5.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are cute, IL. I have something similar to the one with the dots. I believe it was mass produced, but still cute. I've never made a pot with little feet; that might be fun to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Klunick View Post
    Long story short... For years (maybe 15), I hated the way my house looked. I was embarrassed to the point where my boys were only allowed to have friends over if they stayed outside. My furniture was old and falling apart. It was my husband's when he was in college so probably 25 years old. Got so bad that I refused to clean. My house was picked up but carpets didn't get vacuumed, nothing got dusted, bathtubs wouldn't be washed, sheets wouldn't be changed, etc.

That all changed when we did a whole house remodel. Basically new everything from flooring to furniture to paint. Now I love my house and it is clean and spotless... always! If I am around, a dish in the sink literally only stays there a couple of minutes before being put in the dishwasher. That is also when my love of decorating started. First it was just the major holidays like Halloween and Christmas. I had some Fall decor that I would put out too. Basically from Sept-Dec, my house was decorated. Now I decorate all year long. Every season and every holiday but it's still pretty minimalist. You wouldn't walk into my house and be bombarded with seasonal decor. And I only decorate my kitchen and living room.

So, yes I love holidays but the decorating more. Most holidays aren't really celebrated by us. My boys are 18 and 21 so a lot of things that I did when they were younger aren't being done now. Christmas will always be my favorite holiday but more for the spirit that is around. People are nicer, neighborhoods are decorated with lights, things just seem happier, etc. I think once my boys are married with kids, more of our traditions surrounding the holidays will return and I want my grandchildren to be excited to visit my house knowing it will be decorated with all the seasonal decor all year long.
    Thanks for sharing your story, Klunick. I'm so glad you were able to transform your home into your happy place.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

Catherine: Your first post of the series resonated with me the most. I've often thought it would be an interesting exercise to empty out the house completely and see which items would be allowed back in. I'm trying to do a slow review and declutter, but it just isn't the same. There's a certain inertia (or gravitational pull or something) to objects in their designated place. I recall from the exercise of decluttering a bookcase how I was able to let so many more books go if I started by taking them all off the bookcase and then carefully selecting which ones would go back.

When I moved 18 months ago I only took the things I loved including furniture. It was truly starting over.

Thread Information