Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, maybe we should all take Rob's cue

Wow, maybe we should all take Rob's cue

Look at this beautiful home this artist has in Mexico. Look at the price she pays to live there!

Rob, you may be on to something. I do have a couple of high school friends who have retired to Mexico and they seem happy. I couldn't do it because I'd miss my family, but if you don't have too many ties, this looks wonderful

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/11/this...box=1667237425
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Haha. MX, no effing way. Too damned hot. Besides everything else.

Nice place, but house is not cheap.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    A friend of mine’s parents built a retirement home in Mexico. When multiple homes were built the government evicted them and took the property. They were homeless with little money.

with real estate in any country it is important to get the right legal advice

https://mexlaw.com/can-mexican-gover...eize-property/

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Haha. MX, no effing way. Too damned hot. Besides everything else.
    Actually it depends on where you are. The weather in mexico city is actually comparable to that of San Francisco, but without the fog, due to the fact that it's at about 8000 feet elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Nice place, but house is not cheap.
    Depends. House is very, very cheap by PNW standards. Older condos in Portland suburbs are twice that. And the taxes! $41!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Depends. House is very, very cheap by PNW standards. Older condos in Portland suburbs are twice that. And the taxes! $41!
    You aren’t getting public library service for those dollars. I wonder what else she isn’t getting. . Sorry, I am wrong, And there is even an English language public library. It may not be extensive, but boy is it pretty. I can see where this town is appealing because of its architecture. It probably has pretty city parks as well.

Our past real estate tax bill was $100 per month. For that we get snow removal, Street cleaning, public library service, SOME emergency services, decent-but-not-great street maintenance, garbage pickup service, recycling center, etc etc.

The devil is in the details and I would like to know what her $41 a month covers.

But having San Francisco like weather, without the fog, would be pretty dreamy. I wonder what they grow there? Probably can’t go Lilies. Probably Cangro Iris. That’s always my first thought of course, can I go on the lease and Iris and that locale.

My taxes run about $700 a month--which pays, presumably, for the loud, annoying street sweeping machine that's made six passes so far today to clean perfectly spotless streets.

Crazy to me how much taxes vary state to state and what one gets for their money. I lived in San Miguel de Allende and went to art school when I was young. It continues to be a draw for mostly well to do Americans. But it is in the state of Guanajuato which is on the beware of travel list. Even way back then, corruption was everywhere, bribes often had to be paid to get things done and I had to return to the states due to a veiled threat against my safety. Strong machismo culture too. But it was a lovely town and very affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Crazy to me how much taxes vary state to state and what one gets for their money. I lived in San Miguel de Allende and went to art school when I was young. It continues to be a draw for mostly well to do Americans. But it is in the state of Guanajuato which is on the beware of travel list. Even way back then, corruption was everywhere, bribes often had to be paid to get things done and I had to return to the states due to a veiled threat against my safety. Strong machismo culture too. But it was a lovely town and very affordable.
    I suppose if they get it with you have any money, you’re septic to kidnapping. That at least at the moment it’s not a problem in my region

Thread Information