Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: November frugals

Yppej
    Local dealership says they will not match the price of the NH place. Will see when I go in do they try to play games - haven't cancelled the other appointment yet. But if I get it done locally I will save gas.

Yppej
    The bathroom light broke. Left DS a note as I know he doesn't like repair people in the house and he is fixing it. In my state you can do your own electrical repairs (but not your own plumbing repairs).

I think this small up-front expenditure will turn out to be a frugal in the long run. I had bought a magnetic whiteboard for my Mom's fridge to help coordinate efforts with our friend/caregiver who often feeds Mom her dinner, although I'm the one buying the groceries. This way, I can note the food items I purchase and the "use by" dates, and friend will have a better sense of what needs to be used up soonest, and hopefully we will waste less food.
    It occurred to me that one of these would be useful in my own house, since we also waste quite a bit of food. We've only been using it for a week, but we've already had a couple of instances where something written on the board got eaten in time rather than wasted. I write down the "at risk" items (often leftovers) and meat items with their "use by" dates. So far, so good.

Rosa, that’s a good solution!

Yppej
    I've gone way over my budget for the month because I got winter tires. Wasn't thinking about them, though I had noticed I didn't have as good traction, then at my 45,000 mile checkup was told I needed them. Didn't get them at the dealership, so saved some there. Told them why would I buy from them when they charge me $30+ every time to rotate them and I can get that for free elsewhere with the purchase of the tire?

Donations got picked up yesterday - xerox box of misc. stuff and three bags of various clothing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Having issues with the floodlights - left a note for DS. He probably will just have them off since he doesn't like repair people in the house. Had an electrician fix them a few years ago but they have been a problem from day one.

I just received 4 books that I bought on eBay. They are second hand but in excellent condition, and I only paid $14.38 for them (including shipping). They will be part of my sister's b'day or xmas gift. I get most of my books from the library, but when I'm buying a book, I always look at eBay first.
    I spent a good chunk of my "Black Friday" having fun at the pottery studio.

Husband replaced our thermostat today. Fingers crossed but it's working so far! We asked our oil furnace repair guy to put in a new one last year and he refused, saying he didn't want to mess with something that was working. But it wasn't working, it was stuck at 70 degrees.

This is a Honeywell that cost $22. We shall see.

Good luck, Tybee!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information