Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: November frugals

Yppej
    Spending less on food as I refuse to pay some of the high prices. I am getting more flexible in what I eat and now that the boss is on a diet he is getting better at buying health snacks for us.

Yppej
    Negotiating with my bank for a higher interest rate on my savings. Have thought of getting CD's but if some unexpected opportunity to move comes my way I want to be ready to move fast and not have funds tied up.

Yppej
    Price shopped for next oil change/tire rotation. Could not get the local dealership to give me a total cost including sales tax (it's easy to figure out - it's 6.25% of the parts) so going to NH where there is no tax. Savings should be $40 over my last service.

An unfrugal - shelled out $2800 for brakes and shocks/struts on my 2018 Escape with 96K miles on it. Had to get a rental, but the mechanic had a deal with Enterprise for $40. They gave me an Audi Quattro. Fanciest car I’ve ever driven and I hated it. Unless armrest. Very finicky electric seat adjustment controls. Kept beeping at me for all sorts of adaptive driving crap. Glad to get my base model $17K bargain Escape back. Had the repair $$ in my emergency fund. Will be building it back up over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    An unfrugal - shelled out $2800 for brakes and shocks/struts on my 2018 Escape with 96K miles on it. Had to get a rental, but the mechanic had a deal with Enterprise for $40. They gave me an Audi Quattro. Fanciest car I’ve ever driven and I hated it. Unless armrest. Very finicky electric seat adjustment controls. Kept beeping at me for all sorts of adaptive driving crap. Glad to get my base model $17K bargain Escape back. Had the repair $$ in my emergency fund. Will be building it back up over the winter.
    We have a 2009 mercury version of the escape car, it’s called a mariner. It’s got around 110,000 miles on it.

I don’t think that your car repairs were unfrugal, .tradd, they were simply necessary.

Honestly, this is the first car we’ve had in our married life that got over over 100,000 miles. Every car they sell should go over 100,000 miles but ours has not. we don’t drive very much so they last many years but not many miles.

When I rented a car in New Mexico it kept beeping at me and finally I figured out it was because I was getting too near to a line. I think all of the beeping is stupid.

If I’m going to get a smart car, I wanted it speak to me in dulcet ladylike tones, or in a pleasing British accent, and I want it verbally to tell me things like “you are straying too close to the centerline. “

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We have a 2009 mercury version of the escape car, it’s called a mariner. It’s got around 110,000 miles on it. I don’t think that I’m frugal, it’s simply necessary.

Honestly, this is the first car we’ve had in our married life at one over 100,000 miles. Every car they sell should go over 100,000 miles but ours has not. What are the thing so with our cars is that we don’t drive very much so they last many years but not many miles.
    I had a 2008 Escape Hybrid for about 10 years, it had 192,000 miles and was still going strong when I got rid of it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I got the Escape new in January 2019. So almost 4 years. I drive a ton for my diving and it’s been fabulous. Regular oil changes, replace wipers as needed, and that’s about it.

November is NOT a frugal month for us. $1600 for DH's crown, $1500 for tree trimming so that the wind won't do it for us and $1400 for a retaining wall.

Okay---Big Mistake, by you kids. I'd advise anyone to stay way away from them Merc-O-rees! They went outta business, for good reason, y'know? You kids'll prolly spout conventional wisdumb--"ohhhh--they're just the SAME as a Ford" Ha. A neighbor, the richest guy in the hood, who has 3 old, junk rusty cars out front, and a old, old Corvette in his basement, also had an old Ford and an old Merc-O-ree the same model year. He said---showed me proof---that merc-o-ree is a much bigger car; none of the parts from Fords fit! Even though they had a resemblance in styling, they were wholly different. Different body, different motor, Not the same. You kids better figure on driving that merc-o-ree till the wheels fall off; when you go in to trade(get screwed) they won't give ya nuthin' for it. Nope. In fact, you might collect some spare parts, now, while they're still available. Hope that helps ya some.

My current phone case was falling apart, I kept it since we were deciding if we were going to update our 3 year old phones. Concluded we will kept the current phones for another year. I earn a living through my phone, so I have to factor in work stuff before deciding whether or not to upgrade. Making that decision I needed a new phone case since my has fallen apart to the point that it is difficult to do things like turn it on and volume control. Was looking at cases online when I remembered I still keep my old phone for podcasts and photo storage. I took the case off the old phone and put it on the current phone. It's not perfect, changing volume will be tricky. I can deal with it since the price is zero and I'll have to deal with it for a year.

Thread Information